Latest planting date?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
hostasandpapillons
USDA Zone: 5

Latest planting date?

Post by hostasandpapillons »

What would you consider to be the latest planting date, in the ground, for Zone 5??
Thanks!
Linda P

Re: Latest planting date?

Post by Linda P »

Someone asked this question at our hosta club meeting on Saturday. A couple of the guys who have been hosta gardeners for years said "Any time you can get a shovel in the ground". I like to have mine all tucked in by the end of September, but I think I'm going to miss that target this year. I have a lot of them to plant yet, and a good number to move.
I think the latest I've ever planted them is late October.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If you have them in pots, definitely get them planted before the pots freeze. Those are the ones I've lost before when planting really late. I was still able to turn the soil, but the pots had frozen above ground.

In general I also try to get them planted before the end of September, and even discourage people in the colder zones from ordering after that time. But October plantings can take easily too if the weather stays warm. Last fall we were warm up into October and then had a quick cold snap that led directly to an early winter. Lots of plants struggled here because of that, so let's hope we don't get a repeat this year!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

The latest that I have ever planted here in NE Ohio was mid October, but I do try to get anything I want planted into the ground before the end of Sept.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Long ago, I planted a 'Fragrant Bouquet' I bought from a garden center that had it indoors in December. It was a mild wet winter that year. The plant came up fine the following year.

I was more ambitious then, I guess. I'd say late October now.
I do still have a few to plant yet myself, sitting around in pots. It's been in the 80's here though, so I guess I think I have all the time in the world to get around to doing it. :lol:
New Topic Post Reply