WHO ARE THE EARLIES/LATER BLOOMERS?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I have several putting out scapes and it does seem earlier to me than usual, but heck I lost so many the last two years I am most likely confused :lol:

Lemon Lime (4 scapes almost ready to flower)
Ventricosa ( 1 scape)
Francee ( 2 scapes, leaves no flowers)
Winfield Gold (1 scape)

I will be whacking them off of all but Lemon Lime in the next day or so, because they are all new plants and I want them to concentrate their energy on roots and leaves this year!

Ginger
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I was told we can save pollen on q-tips in an envelope in the freezer for later...true?

Laura
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Mal, I have a scape on Madam today 8-) I don't know when it is suppose to bloom, it is it's 2nd year in my garden, and I don't remember it blooming last year. I was looking forward to it, but it never sent up a scape last year. Anyone have it and know when it is suppose to bloom?
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I noticed a couple more showing scapes this evening. Abby has one, & my potted/in the ground Great Expectations has one.

Here are a couple pics of Glory. It's bigger than it's ever been with 11 eyes this year [2 last year]. A couple of scapes showing already the last couple days.

GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Actually, I checked, and the q-tips were supposed to go into film tubes in the freezer. I'm going to give it a try with my early bloomers and see what happens!
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

I too have several blooming early. I just attributed it to the hard freeze we had when everything was first coming up. Could it be because the freeze caused the second flush of leaves to happen earlier and 'tricked' the hostas into believing they were further along in the season then we actually are? Also does this mean they may go dormant earlier this fall? Just curious.
Anita
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Mamaw - I don't think any of the ones I have sending up scapes now were ones that got frozen back earlier. I'd have to do some cking of my notes to be sure of that, but I think most of the ones I'm seeing scapes on were mounded with soil over eyes & didn't get nipped. King Tut may be the exception - I think he had a pot covering him.

It may well be that what you suggest had an effect on yours & others though.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

JUst looking at my 2004 crosses records---and my first cross of the season was made on June 20, 2004! Didn't note the dates down, but this is definintely at least a month early.

While outside, I noticed that the new neighbors in the neighborhood brought their roosters with them, and they're in good form. I suppose that means they have chickens as well. I bet you can hear those roosters for a quarter of a mile, so it doesn't really matter that that rooster has been placed on the property line not far from my neighbors' bedroom window. Times are-a-changing..

Even Paradigm has got a scape--maybe I can use it for pollen......not my first choice tho.
mamaw2

Post by mamaw2 »

Thanks Renaldo. Just went out and looked at the hostas that seemed to have gotten the worse damage from the freeze. I covered all my hostas with lots of leaves during the freeze but the bloom ratio is mixed.
Vim & Vigor-no blooms
Guac-no blooms
June-no blooms
Green Piecrust-blooming
Olive Bailey Langdon-blooming
Niagara Falls-blooming
Sun Power-blooming
Sum & Sub-no blooms
Those are the ones I really removed the most mushy leaves/eyes from. I have just never had blooms this early on any of my hostas before. I have others blooming that didn't get as much damage and some that are not blooming yet. I guess its really a flip the coin type thing, but hey at least most of them survived. Lost a few for whatever reason this year. Thanks for your input.
Anita
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Hmmm, where there are chickens, is there free fertilizer?

Laura :-?
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

You know, there are many instances of animals getting edgy hours prior to an earthquake and taking defensive measures.

I think there's also a pine tree that uncharacteristically suddenly decides to produce zillions of pinecones (seed).

I have finally started seeing bees in the garden but not near the typical number of visitors.

Could these be related in any way? Are the hostas behaving defensively?

----------
P.S. where do you get your lat/long? I think I'm at 42.28.
druff

Post by druff »

mal,
if you've got a hi speed internet connection, then download google earth. its a pretty incredible program. for lat, gps, fly overs, finding places and directions. and just plain fun. :D

doug
sugar

Post by sugar »

well, here :???: I have a flowerscape on Diana Remebered. That's a fragrant hosta that should start blooming only early september. It's just one division of the plant sending up a scape, but it proves that some of our plants are confused about this weather we have here around ...
barbara

Post by barbara »

Well I can only report on Zuzu's Petals with a flower scape today...LOL...some hostas haven't unfurled yet, and the ones that have, only did last week. Wacky :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That is very wacky, Barb. :???:

I noticed one on my larger Pandora's Box yesterday. And one on another new one when I was weeding today. But I can't remember what it was at the moment...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply