*******SECRET TRADE RECEIVED*********

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

LynneM

Post by LynneM »

I received my Secret Trades from both the Hallson Swap and the Gardenweb swap, today!!!!! It's just like Christmas! Both of my swappers sent nice notes,but didn't id which trade it was... now I could do some research, but I'm just going to thank both of them on both forums!

From Mike Huber in Minnesota, I received a beautiful Queen Josephine! and to make things even better, Mike also sent me some homemade plant markers which are just fantastic! I will post pictures of these later this evening. I am so inspired by these, that I think I will try this idea myself.

Thank you Mike!!

And from Laura Sakos, I received Bluebell, Winsome, Louisa, Marschino Cherry, Royal Standard, and one unnamed that I believe is Queen Josephine. (Only reason I can say that with some assurance is the similarity it has to the one from Mike)
AND, a "crackling rosie" begonia. No worries about any duplicates as my oldest daughter just bought a house, and she's been eyeballing my hostas for weeks now!

Mike and Laura, thanks to both of you for a great trade!!!
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Lynne, :D so glad that everything arrived OK. And I may now have an ID on "Queen Josephine", and on Royal Standard.

Maybe I should send you more of my "NOIDs"

:wink:

Laura
LynneM

garden labels

Post by LynneM »

Here's the labels I received in the trade from Just_one_more.. (I think this was actually from the Gardenweb trade, but these are good enough to share here too!)
Attachments
rock labels 002.jpg
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Holy carp, I hit the hosta motherload! I received my secret trade today from Doug (druff) and he sent nine, yes nine, nice sized plants. I can't believe you got them all in there Doug, and they all looked great!! They really round out my collection and I am just thrilled. Thanks so much and thanks Roxanne for putting this together. Really appreciate it. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Here's my list:
Francee
Ventricosa
Lancifolia (huge clump)
Love Pat
Regal Splendor
Neat Splash Rim
Swoosh
Striptease
Potomac Pride
Last edited by pauhaus on May 31, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Tigger,
I am so glad you received your swap in good order. It is funny that I received your name when there were so many partiicpants in the swap this year. However, you suggested we may meet again in the swap and that is just what happened. It is also funny that John was your last swap as he was my secret trader this year..and a generous one at that. The world gets smaller... It has been a great swap year and I hope you feel the same. Thanks to Roxanne for organizing a great event!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
druff

Post by druff »

i'm glad you like them paul. i for one really like the oldies. and hopefully you will too. i think the trades are an opportunity to share these. without worry of a virus (which seem to be more of a problem with the non tc ones), and you can save your cash for the more expensive latest and greatest ones.

doug
hostamary

secret trade received

Post by hostamary »

I too received my secret trade box today! 'AlwaysWeeding' sent me 5 nice sized hostas :D Three of these were new to me... Nakiana, Cream Cheese and Summer Fragrance! She also sent a beautiful Sundance and Lemon-Lime! Thank you so much Colette! They are all planted in their new spots!She also included some gorgeous daylily cards! Thanks to Roxanne for organizing the swap! I did get the hostas divided for my recipient so they should be ready to go Monday :P Mary S
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Well, HOSTADAD!

My package arrived today safe and sound, and was I surprised! I opened the box and kept finding one hosta after another, PLUS a special surprise.. I don't know if you've ever seen any photos of my garden.......but the full sun areas contain 100 roses, many 10-15 feet tall, and they require some "tending" now and then.....and the Cadillac of pruners I've always wanted, but never get, you sent......

HostaDad also sent, Krossa Cream Edge, Tamboriine, Ground Master, Titanic and Birchwood Parkys Gold--I was delighted with all of them, and I'll probably try the Tamborine and Ground Master with a cross or two. Everything was in good shape, but I tossed them in a sinkful of cold water for a few hours, for secret trades are great fun!

Thank you,
Attachments
drivewayx.jpg
drivewayx.jpg (32.61 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

My package arrived yesterday from Whitewater176 and what a GREAT package it was!

1. Lakeside Explosion
2. Joyfull
3. Emerald Necklace
4. Ivory Necklace

I dont have ANY of these and very HAPPY to have gotten them! :D I looked them up and they are all wonderful-SO COOL This is only my 3rd yr collectiing Hostas-who knew Id really like this, I had said NEVER to hosta and then Jody n Sue sent me some and now im HOOKED! :lol:
Thanks for a great trade Whitewater176! :D :D :D
jody

Post by jody »

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: Dori! I'm sure I could find some others you don't have... and really must have... just to keep you "hooked" :lol: :wink:
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

Jody send them!! :P
I just made the hosta bedS bigger :lol: :lol:
I told dh i dont have any more daylilies coming-he laughed and said ya its HOSTA;S this yr!
druff

Post by druff »

sue, (suedia) hit a home run on her first trade. i was extatic when i pulled the first plant out. it was color parade!!!! one of my most favorite streaked breeders!! i'd take 100 of these if i could afford it. she was very thoughtful in her choices. all nice size plants with good roots and metal tags with a letter and description for each. wow!!

the other goodies were:

sugar and spice (i like invincible and breed with it, so the new white edged sport is great to have and compare to):):)
emerald ruff cut (one i wanted, great looking plant, and who can argue with that name):)

and also

rosedale lost dutchman (which looks great love the yellows)

and last but not least

blue haired lady (i don't have this, different shape then alot of blues)

this was a great trade thanks sue :D :D
and roxanne for arranging it. :wink:

:D :D

doug
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Doug,
So glad you like them. I did quite a bit of homework on this one, sounds like I made a passing grade. I asked Jimmy and Reldon for some hints as to what you would like. You didn't have a list which for a first timer for the secret trade, made me very nervous trying to get it right for a hybridizer.Then I saw your post that you like the oldies :eek: I thought boy did I mess this one up. Anyway glad you like them. Was the packing ok as this was the first shipping for me. Boy did our local postmaster look at me when I bought that package in to mail :o Let me know how they do for you. I have a couple divisions from them also. It was fun boxing it up and wondering how you would look when you opened it.
Sue
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

It sure is fun to read about all of the newly received trade packages!! :P I'm having a lot of fun feeling everybody's enthusiasm & excitement. :cool:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Becky in TN

Post by Becky in TN »

Thank You Hilbourn1985 for a great secret trade! I felt like a child opening a gift. Inside were 5 hostas(most were multieyed) and a daylily.... all perfectly wrapped. All have been tenderly planted.

I received:
Kabitan.. mine died several years ago following a harsh winter

Stiletto- I just love the lance shaped leaves

Crested Surf-- Lanced shape leaves and ripples too

Valley's Chute-the-Chute.. a nice looking green I will have to research and see what it says. Has nice purple in petiole

Purple Boots- another one I have not heard of. But has lots of purple on the petiole and into the base of the leaf!!

And the daylily is... Make Room for Miracles.. what a great name.

I look forward to seeing these grow. Thank you Stephanie for such great choices.

Becky in TN
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Mine just arrived!

Alexa (Caliloo) sent me :
Stained Glass (yippee!) I had just returned from a nursery where I debated over that one then decided to decide later :D

Halcyon (always wanted one of those!)

Bright Lights (a second for me but I've got that new hosta area that I'm working on so I'll love it like it was my first! And it's bigger than my other one anyway and yes it did bring a smile -LOL)

Otome No Ka (I've never heard of this one so I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it and watching it grow!)

Thank you very much Alexa!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

You are very welcome Molly :D

I was LOLing the whole time I was digging up Bright Lights (so I could move it from where it was and replace it with... Gold Standard! :lol: ) thinking about that whole mistaken identity thread.

I'm also glad I could find a few that you didn;t already have. Enjoy them all and keep that Bright Lights labeled. We wouldn't want it to be another GS come next spring! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

"Enjoy them all and keep that Bright Lights labeled. We wouldn't want it to be another GS come next spring!"

Next year there will be a lot of little BL's and I'll be asking is this BL or GS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I'm off to get some potting soil. Everyone is getting potted till I have the ideal spot for them. Yesterday I bought a larch (about 7' tall) but I suspect it may be a while before it can shade some of my hostas :bd:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

You are very welcome Mal! My pleasure! :D I tried to find hostas you did not have. I also wanted to include the gardeners best tool, (pruners). I am very pleased that you will make good use of it :D Your rose garden is very beautiful! :cool:

Thank you very much Roxanne for the time and effort to organize the secret trade. It was great. I had fun reading everybody's comments :D

There's alata great people on this forum!

David.
Last edited by hostadad on Jun 02, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitewater176

Post by whitewater176 »

notmartha so glad you had none of the hostas we sent, always a pleasure to help feed anothers hosta addiction
Steve and Deb
New Topic Post Reply