Hosta Sport Pics

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Hosta Sport Pics

Post by Chris_W »

Hope you don't mind if I share some pictures. I sort of took a day off today (don't tell my boss) and enjoyed working in the gardens and getting some pictures. I took about 150 pictures, but won't share them all at once ;)

These are some of the hosta sports we've found, but these aren't all of them. Sometimes when I sit on them for a while they get found elsewhere, but they are still fun to watch grow.

Let me know what you think!

Chris
Attachments
This is a pure white margined sport of Praying Hands.  People ask for a piece of this one almost every day!
This is a pure white margined sport of Praying Hands. People ask for a piece of this one almost every day!
PrayingHandsSport.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Streaked form of Hosta 'Celestial' (not all the leaves are like this one, but they all have some streaking)
Streaked form of Hosta 'Celestial' (not all the leaves are like this one, but they all have some streaking)
CelestialStreaked.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Here are a couple more:
Attachments
This is a solid green sport of Hosta 'Warwick Delight'.  Normally I will just cull the solid green ones like this, but I really like this one.  I'm not sure if this has been registered yet - it is growing underneath Alex Summers.
This is a solid green sport of Hosta 'Warwick Delight'. Normally I will just cull the solid green ones like this, but I really like this one. I'm not sure if this has been registered yet - it is growing underneath Alex Summers.
WarwickDelightSport.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
This is a white centered sport of Hidden Cove that we've had for 3 years now.  We won't be naming it since I found out Q & Z already has this one in production, but it is a great plant and a great grower for this color!
This is a white centered sport of Hidden Cove that we've had for 3 years now. We won't be naming it since I found out Q & Z already has this one in production, but it is a great plant and a great grower for this color!
HiddenCoveSport.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
This is the sister sport to a plant that Helen has.  It is a sport of Second Wind that comes up with a pure white edge in the spring and then the edge gradually greens up.  We call this one Hosta 'North Wind'.
This is the sister sport to a plant that Helen has. It is a sport of Second Wind that comes up with a pure white edge in the spring and then the edge gradually greens up. We call this one Hosta 'North Wind'.
NorthWind.jpg (52.03 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Last edited by Chris_W on Jun 19, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

One more picture of our Radiant Edger sports that we have finally decided to name Radiant Star and Malachite.

And another shot of the entire plant of the streaky Celestial.

We also have some other fun sports that we are watching such as a white centered sport of Old Faithful, a reversed sport of Pineapple Upsidedown Cake (via Pineapple Juice), a reverse sport of Darwin's Standard, and a cream centered sport of Olive Branch (that last one is very slow). These have all wintered over at least once, some several years, and all are growing except the Olive Branch sport. Oh, and I also have a margined sport of Niagara Falls!

After you have grown several thousand plants for as long as we have you are bound to find some sport eventually :)
Attachments
This is Celestial, for comparison.
This is Celestial, for comparison.
Celestial.jpg (51.96 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
The whole plant of the streaked Celestial.
The whole plant of the streaked Celestial.
CelestialStreaked2.jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Radiant Star on left, Malachite on right
Radiant Star on left, Malachite on right
RadiantEdgerSports.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Last edited by Chris_W on Jun 19, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

WOW
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Wow! I love Northwind and Celestial sports :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Chris, those are too cool. :cool: :cool:

Glad you took some time off to play, you deserve it! :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

So, can we order some now? (hehe) I haven’t even seen the margined Niagara Falls but I really want one - and I don’t even care what color the margin is!!! Please show us that one?

And I really like that Radiant Star and Celestial!

I have Helen’s sister plant to Northwind here for now and it is very lovely. Sturdy, too.

wanda
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I really like radiant star and malachite. Probably cause I just got a radiant edger :wink: But anyway they are :cool:
I hope you enjoyed your day off...everybody needs time to do whatever once in a while!!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

We won't tell the boss.....today anyway :D J/K. Glad you managed a day off, and what a nice one after the rain last night hey?

Love your sports! Looking forward to seeing more! :D

Sport of the day perhaps! :lol:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

That margined Praying Hands is cool -- it's neat that it catches the eye of so many people.

My fav is the one you will name Radiant Star. :)

Neat sports! Now I want to go post a new thread to ask my questions about sports. lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
ademink

Post by ademink »

I love them all! That Praying Hands and Celestial are both really great! I also would love to see the NF sport. :D
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You've sure got a nice assortment of sports there, Chris!! :cool: :P I think I'd be trying to get the Praying Hands sport into the tc lab. I really like that one.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Nice all of them, but I agree with Reldon... Get that praying Hands sport in TC

I still want it in blue :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I love the Radiant Edger sports. Very cool to have sports!! Oh yes, need the Praying Hands too!

Debbie
poppi

Post by poppi »

Wow, I love the celestial sport. Geez, I love sports in general...i don't seem to be too successful with them once they are split off. I think I love them too much. :cry: The 2 I've seperated have gotten crown rot and died. :bawl: sniff. Are you better off putting it in the ground or a pot?
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Thanks for sharing your photos. Sports are so much fun. Love the streak Celestial, and Raidiant Edger is one of my favorite smalls in the gardens, so those are cuties also.

Great way to spend a day off, taking photos, and enjoying your gardens.............good for you!

Do it again sometime soon :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Gosh, Chris! You're just busting out all over there at Hallson's with the sports this year! I enjoyed seeing all the pics and will look forward to seeing some of the other 100+ pics you took. :wink: :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
GibbsCorner
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by GibbsCorner »

Nice, Chris! Thanks for sharing. I'll join the others who have asked to see your margined Niagara Falls.

Matt
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Thanks for sharing them! What is the point of growing hostas if you cannot take the time to just enjoy them once in awhile?

Laura
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Wow those are all great!
The Celestial one was my favorite, but want to see the Niagara Falls sport.
New Topic Post Reply