HUMMER'S SPLASH

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
malaprop

HUMMER'S SPLASH

Post by malaprop »

I have been looking for this all winter and feared for the worst....... I'd used Coke can strips to label the seedlings, and semi-buried them in the pots, but never got around to making a large label until last fall. It was too immature to send up a scape, so couldn't try any crosses. But I could never find it again after that.

This was a real looker, IMHO, and I guarded it from critters. And every day I couldn't find it, I sank deeper into depression.

I strongly considered taking Prozac, but I'd heard it could affect one's hostas.

Today I am happy to announce that during some cleanup and repotting I found it. And it has at least 4 eyes! Pretty fat, too for so young.

Will it be all green? Will it have shifted it's streaks to the edges? Who'da thunk breeding hostas could be so stressful? Angst, anxiety.......

My hunch is I got a goody from Hummer.
Attachments
hummers streak 031607.jpg
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Love seeing those eyes poking through! Make sure you post a pic when it leafs out! :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

I found a pic for last year....despite it's nice size, was too immature to send up a scape...
Attachments
Hummers Splash 06xx.JPG
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Nice looking streaker Mal :cool: :cool: :cool: I'm a little confused about the to immature to bloom comment though :-? .. Not sure any hosta is too immature to bloom.
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Well, I've noticed not every seedling of mine will bloom before it goes thru it's first dormancy...
druff

Post by druff »

great seedling mal. no wonder you were anxious. i've had some streakers for as much as 5 years before they have bloomed. i think its part genetics and part stored energy and available water. thats always a dilema with one with so much white. do you give it more sun to encourage bloom, but also risk the white burning.

doug
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Gorgeous!!!!
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

See the leaf at 1:00 ? Where it is half and half? Does that signify anything, like an edge is moving, or it is stablizing?
I've noticed such leaves before.
druff

Post by druff »

mal
i've seen that alot too. its just random unstableness. you've got good even streaking on that one. from what i've seen that means the plant may stay streaked longer.

sometimes you can tell early which way the plant will stablize. edge or medio. but yours is even. thats good.

doug
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

That's good to know... I've got a blue seedling that has only 10% mottling streak, but with good substance and possible corrigation--I'll probably keep it for a while.

I made a note last fall that this year I would cull my mature streakers, of ones that had stablized into uninteresting plants, (or remove the stable eyes) and just cull out the breeders in general, leaving just the best. Not much sense allowing pollination, germinating, all the work in raising, of offspring plants from parents that should have been culled.
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Continuing with the "Hummer's Splash" ....this year it has rewarded me with 4 scapes, after none last year.

Here it is in the kitchen sink. Also, for the first time, it is showing signs of corregation on every leaf. It is the first time I've had a corregated streak and I'm delighted.
Attachments
hummer3x.JPG
hummer3x.JPG (38.11 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
hummer1x.JPG
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:cool: It's sure looking good, Mal!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Beautiful, Mal! Looking forward to seeing those seedlings!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply