If I bring my pod hostas in the house to cross....

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
eastwood2007

If I bring my pod hostas in the house to cross....

Post by eastwood2007 »

Can I just leave them in the house a few days while making the crosses? I brought them in because the day temps were pushing 90. If I bring them in to the 73 degree house, what happens when I try to move them back to 90+ degrees?

Should I do the crosses then take them back outside each day?

Could use some help from some experienced folks. Thanks in advance!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

I've been doing it that way for a couple of years, and I have them fooled into thinking a cold front just passed thru, and they don't do anything.

Having them at waist-level and not having to get up at O-Dark-Thirty to beat the bees is nice, and to say nothing of trying to put on a tag with a breeze whipping it around in knots...
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Yes I did all of mine last summer indoors. Try to get them in a lot of light by a window. It worked very well.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks Mal, Dave! Is it okay then to put them back outside after they have finished flowering? Maybe I would acclimate them back slowly?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

No problem, put them right out. It only matters if they emerge indoors, so yours should already be hardened off.
New Topic Post Reply