The trouble with red

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
dmi188

The trouble with red

Post by dmi188 »

I want red in my seedlings. Really, I do! Chris has even given me 3 bonuses in the last couple years with red in them. Problem is most of those bloom late. I went searching this morning, and could only find 2 capsules of pollen saved from red stemmed plants last year...one Red October, and the other One Man's Treasure.

Are there any really red stemmed plants that bloom early? I think by the time many of them bloom, I am back to school and not taking the time to collect pollen.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I'm wondering too!

Laura
NWhosta4life

Post by NWhosta4life »

Not much for choices. Most the red hybs are of late bloomers like longpipes. Try to stretch out those two capsules you have and cross it with the earlier bloomers and you will wind up with seedlings that bloom midseason. :D
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Early blooming reds

Post by thehostagourmet »

Look for yellows with red legs. Yellows usually bloom earlier.

George
Trudy

Reds

Post by Trudy »

What do you think of Deane's Dream, not as tall as some of the others, but noticed mine does have a bloom scape.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Looked it up Trudy, not familiar with it. Looks a bit like Pee Dee Gold Flash, which I forgot about, that has red. I may have pollen from it. The problem is not really finding one, just finding pollen available now, since I didn't save much. :roll:
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I looked at mine today and the earliest reds I have getting ready to bloom are Red Cadet and Maraschino Cherry. Not sure about their parentage ability yet, however.

Laura
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

My Fire Island is puttin up a red scape now.
John

Post by John »

George is right...same thought I realized when looking at my reds for you. The only one now scaping with red petioles is SEA FIRE, very bright yellow-gold. None of the other reds show scapes at all. I'll have to double check FIRE ISLAND.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I see Neat Splash has some red, and is getting a scape. Also Cherry Berry will be blooming soon. Both are thinner substance than I would like, tho. Fortunately, Lakeside Elfin Fire, the one I am using as a pod parent, is sending up more scapes. I will have to save pollen, or get some earlier reds for next year!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Denise, I'm kinda confused by your comment about Deane's Dream... :hmm: Since Deane's Dream is blue w/ reddish-purple petioles and fairly upright, and Pee Dee Gold Flash is gold w/red petioles. I'm not seeing many similarities. :-?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Jaspersail

Post by Jaspersail »

'Ogon Amagi' has bright, cherry red petioles and blooms rather early for me (August or so). The substance is OK, not super, but it is a very fast grower.

The species pycnophylla sometimes starts blooming in August too.

--John
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

renaldo75 wrote:Denise, I'm kinda confused by your comment about Deane's Dream... :hmm: Since Deane's Dream is blue w/ reddish-purple petioles and fairly upright, and Pee Dee Gold Flash is gold w/red petioles. I'm not seeing many similarities. :-?
Oops! you're right, of course! I had looked at a couple in the hosta library, and was thinking that Deane's Dream was the gold one. Sorry!!
New Topic Post Reply