Hallson's hosta happening

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Yippee! We got Dale and John (and hopefully Emily) again!

Hey, Dale...are you gonna drop by Leafy’s on the way here? (hehe)

John...Chris had a couple Tidewaters left, so I had him set aside one for me to buy this year, since I can’t seem to win one (hehe).

Gosh, I am SO looking forward to this...I really need a break!

wanda
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

:lol: @ Dale. Yeah right...it's those quiet ones you have to really watch. :lol: Happy to see that you'll make it this year. We missed you last year. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hey guys and gals, I think I'm going to be there too. Been wanting to attend but always had conflicting dates. Not this time though! Looking forward to meeting everyone. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

So Chris? Is there a final schedule for this get-to-gether yet? We have a family reunion in Lansing :( that day, and are still debating which one we have to forego :( Hoping we can do a bit of both maybe.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

People typically start rolling in around 10am. Lunch will be around noon, then the drawing for the gas cards, hosta trade, auction, and raffle after lunch (1pm to 3pm). After that we socialize into the night. Leftover lunch becomes dinner, usually lots of munchies. We will provide pop, water, and beer, if you want other things to drink feel free to bring something.

Hope that helps, and we look forward to seeing all of you next Saturday :D
newtohosta-no more

Glad you'll be able to join the fun this year, Paul! It's always a good time. :D

I have to remember that I will need to leave about 3ish to run up and get checked into my room. Then I'll come back down for the evening. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

The 28. ... here I had the start of august in my head...

So Chris please help me out once again with a plant for the auction .... please :D ...still need that little angelfaced emotion :roll: :lol:

Seems to be my way to add hostas to US gardens :oops:

and HEJ Kathleen... I need your help..send me a PM or e-mail 14 to 16 days before the get to gether next year... I'm so late this year, so it would be a so so it it would be there in time... so his year I go with a plant from Chris

But i would like to find somthing from my country ... one year :wink:

Have the best time ever :D :D :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Just checked the National Weather Service forecast for the nursery: For Saturday they are calling for partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms and a high of 83 degrees. Don’t worry...with this weird DRY summer, slight chance of tstorms means “ha, ha, ha...you ain’t gonna get any rain AGAIN!”

The shirt is progressing nicely - only one and a half hosta left to paint...then five hosta to go back and “fix”. The 6 solid color hosta are done with veins and corrugation. They look great! The variegated hosta seemed sort of plain in comparison, so they will all be turned into streakers, since the trial version turned out so well. I really should have started this shirt earlier (hehe).

Glad to see you can make it this year Paul! Hey, Pia...you really have to show up one of these years! We really appreciate the auction hosta, but we would truly rather have you. We would love to meet you in person!

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again and talking hosta. I am SO READY for a whole day out...just for Wanda! Feel bad about abandoning my husband all day with his mom (she is so mean to him), but I HAVE to get out. Have my mom, grandpa and BIL all set to stop over a few times during the day to give my poor sweetie and puppy a break.

Could everyone do me (and everyone) a favor? When you label your trade and auction plants, could you also please put your name on the label? I like to know where my hosta come from and who to thank for their donations.

See you soon!

wanda

ps. It is THIS Saturday, right? The 28th? Just checking...
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

We're leaving in 2 days! Oh, I can't wait :D See you all soon.

Lynn
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Pia, that is so sweet of you to offer us a auction plant! Thanks, but I am like Wanda.....we would love to see you in person!! :P I will try to remind you.... :wink:

Wanda, the idea about putting your name on the back of the tag is great! I will do that, too....

Hey Chris......I will need a trade hosta....I wasn't going to do the trade, but I have soooo much fun, I have to do it.... :cool:

See everyone soon!!!!! :D
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Okay I'm feeling like Cinderella here :cry: :cry: :cry: being left behind while you all go to the ball without me :cry: :cry: :cry: Have fun you guys and take lots of pictures.

MollyD :cry:
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:( My FIL is doing very poorly again and the family was called to the nursing home on Sunday. He's still hanging in there but I don't feel like I can leave right now. Everyone have a wonderful time!!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

We'll miss seeing you there, Peggy, but we certainly understand why you feel you can't be away right now. :(

And Molly....remember that Cinderella got to go to the ball afterall! I guess you need to find yourself a Fairy Godmother to make it happen this year. :lol: I'm sorry you can't come . It would have been wonderful meeting you in person. Maybe next year! :wink:

I'm still trying to decide on a hosta to donate to the auction. Hmmmmmm :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Peggy sorry your FIL is so ill.

Joan as you say maybe next year -sigh.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Peg, I'm so sorry that your FIL isn't doing well. :( I understand your reluctance to leave now. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. We'll miss you!
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
mommatina

Post by mommatina »

I hope everyone has a wonderful time and a safe journey...and one of these days maybe I'll even make it to the Hallson's Happening... :wink:

I look forward to all the pictures...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwww, I too am sorry that your FIL is not doing well....I will sure miss seeing you....But understand. :(

Molly, just start planning NOW....then you can get to come! :lol:

I am donating that Japanese hosta again....it is 2-3 eyes. But I am bummed out that the mother plant did not set seeds....either did the one I divided to grow for this...

I got the broccoli today for the salad.... :P

I am so looking forward to seeing my Brian & Chris and EVERYONE!! :P :P
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Thanks Lucy but it's not the money, it's the timing. We were okay when it was in August but July blew us out of the water :???:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I see.....and this is the first time that we have had it in July, too..... :???: ....Next Year!
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Just my luck! Oh well from what I've read some have found July better for them so I guess it's okay.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
New Topic Post Reply