seedling picture's 8/2/2007

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
hostarod

seedling picture's 8/2/2007

Post by hostarod »

Here are a couple seedling picture's from today.

You just have to love those seedlings.

here are the parents for these as I forgot to mention it.
crazy quilt x blue belly and a dorset clown x beer belly blues

hostarod
Attachments
dc 1.jpg
cq 1.jpg
Last edited by hostarod on Aug 02, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Looks like a couple of potentially nice breeders! :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Yep, I love those seedlings! Looks like you've got a lot of them packed into that first shot.
BTW, I'm really enjoying all of my "Rod's Rejects" seedlings form the gathering at Jimmy's last year. They all seem to be strong growers. One that had lost the streaks has them back this year, and one has very subtle differences in the color on the leaves, almost like someone misted some parts of the leaf and missed others. I can't capture it with the camera, or I'd post a pic of it.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Keep Trying Linda, we'll be patient till you can capture the pic of those little guys!

Great seedlings HostaRod! Nice job!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
hostaanita
USDA Zone: 6

Post by hostaanita »

Nice!! :o
Is that yellow and white striped one in the bottom picture a seedling too?? I really love it!
    Making our world beautiful , one backyard at a time.
    eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Look at that substance! :o
    Charla
    Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
    Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Great babies Rod! I wish I knew how you get your babies to grow. Mine still look to be almost the same as when I brought them up from the basement. One thing I think I learned, finally this year is to keep them in pots. The slugs ate up almost all the really nice babies I put into the ground. I think I saved them, thanks to Mary Ann, as we went in on a bag of deadline at the auction in Indy. After the first application, the slugs left them alone, but they sure got eatten up before that! The ones, the less desirable ones to me atleast, are still in their little pots, and increasing in size nicely. I will put them into the ground once the heat breaks in about 3 or so weeks. I bet they will do better coming thru the winter, as they will be larger and stronger than the ones planted out in spring.
    hostarod

Post by hostarod »

Thanks for the encouragment folks (like I need it to grow my streakers) it is always nice to know that others like some of the same looks in a hosta. It is hard to see the true amount of sumstance in a picture but I am trying to breed this into my seedlings as I always have a slug problem and they always seem to win.
    have a great day, Rod
    Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I agree with the adding of substance Rod, sure would have helped my babies out. I got a yellow at the convention named H. Jaz, thick as leather! Another one that gave nice substance and interesting seedlings a couple years back was H. El Nino. I wanted to use El Nino this year for pollen, but the stem is flowering right at ground level, and I have not caught an open flower yet to collect any :(
    DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

The pollen from El Nino should be the same quality you will get from Halcyon or First frost. The center blue color is what the pollen will carry. In contrast, June will carry yellow genes, because of its yellow center.
    New Topic Post Reply