Cogglywood

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Bill Meyer

Cogglywood

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi,

Does anybody know anything about this hosta? It looks a lot like 'Alley Oop' and 'Cathy's Clown' to me. I'm wondering where it came from.

ebay auction link to Cogglywood

........Bill Meyer
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
barbara

Post by barbara »

Nope, looks like something gone wrong :roll:
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I wondered about it when I saw that, too. Jamie bid on it; maybe he can tell you.

Aside from this one, what about several hostas listed by one person that have some unusual names? :roll:
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Bill,
It's suppose to be similar in appearance but overall a smaller plant. This is what the seller told me when I asked and mentioned the 2 you did. I honestly don't expect to win it and am sure someone will outbid me in the last few secs. I wanted to compare it with the Alley Oop I have here.
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Does anybody know anything about this hosta?
Do think it looks a little like this plant?

Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Okay, so did anyone find 'other' pictures as they state on the hostalibrary? I did a search and found only on the page listing streaked breeders, but it isn't shown in pictures anywhere I could find?
Last edited by wishiwere on Aug 13, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Jane,
I'll be the first to admit that I make mistakes when I offer a few for sale on ebay and I've seen a lot others do it before also..

There's lot of hostas that don't have pictures :D and after reading that on the HL List's Section I have to say it's got to be legit cause the last update to that section was 2004. It was registered in 1999 and the seller has it spelled wrong I think..

http://hostaregistrar.org/detail.asp?se ... Cogleywood

Butch,
In person here Alley Oop and Winter Lightning have differences in colors. Your photo looks like my Winter Lightning here.
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for tracking it down. I never saw or heard of it.

Yes, Butch has Winter Lightning.

I don't want to turn this into the other thread, but that does seem like a good example of a collector plant that will stay pretty rare. Been around for 8 years now, and I've never seen or heard of it.

.......Bill Meyer
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

How is it different from 'Cathy's Clown' is what I want to know.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Or Alley Oop :P .. There's probably no difference in the 3 at all. I'm assuming since it was registered 2 years before Alley Oop then AO and CC would really be the look alikes.. But then again that all depends on how long each person grew them before naming and registering :-)..
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Jamie and Rox,

Alley Oop was found by Malloy in 2000 if I remember right. It was a sport of something at a box store, probably Hyacinthina.

Cathy's Clown is maybe a year or two older and is a sport of one of Chick Wasitis' seedlings.

Neither were around early enough to be this plant. It is definitely a separate sport. If it is a sport of the same thing Alley Oop is, then it could be very similar or the same. As Cathy's clown is a separate seedling it would be different.

.......Bill Meyer
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Bill,
I ended up winning the Cogleywood and will be happy to add a older registered hosta like this to the collection. I'll compare AO and C with each other but I have a feeling there will be a slight difference. Tried to get my hands on a CC but no luck so far :-(.. Thanks for the info you posted :-)

Alley Oop is a sport from Aoki :-)
New Topic Post Reply