Color Wheels

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Cynthia

Color Wheels

Post by Cynthia »

We all know of Mark Zilis's rating system and Bill Meyer's color wheel for blues. Are there similar ratings for greens and golds? I'm thinking specifically in terms of dark greens such as Lakeside Coal Miner contrasted with, say, pale greens such as Squash Casserole. Or golds such as Sun Power contrasted with the color of Gold Standard?
Cynthia
--------------------------------------
Love will wait forever.
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Actually, I have never head of Bill Meyers Leaf Color Wheel. However, it is something I would like to learn more about. Where do you find it?
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Cynthia and Willowy,

Attached is a basic version of my color wheel for hostas. It was designed as a graph to aid the Hosta Sport Wheels committee that Jim Hawes started years ago. You can map a two-color position on the graph and list the sport as a two-number listing. Since the Hosta Sport Wheels were abandoned some time ago, I guess there isn't much use for it now. At least nobody has found another use for it.

The colors are divided into three groups - greens,golds, and whites. The center wheel is for streaked plants, which can only be a combination of a green color and a white color or a gold color and a white color. The blue scale is Mark's and I added a grey scale.

..........Bill Meyer
Attachments
ColorWheel80k.jpg
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Here's a link to some color wheels at the Hosta Library

Color Wheels
New Topic Post Reply