Pic of the Day--Garden tour 3

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Garden tour 3

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--Here are three photo of what could be thought of as our front yard. It is on the opposite side of our driveway from the scenes I showed of the narrow strip of beds. The photos are a few years old but they do show the area in the spring, summer, and fall. In the next few days I plan on showing some closer shots taken since we made some changes.
Attachments
Front Garden 10-26-03cc 004.jpg
Front Garden 7-11-03cc 005.jpg
Front garden 5-7-02b.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I don't think I asked this before, Hank, but did you all have to bring in alot of soil to plant in?

The reason I ask, is that here I have slopes like that, but there are rocks creating the slopes...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

HI--When I bought it, the house had been here for 19 years. I don't know what might have been done when the home was constructed. I am sure that some soil was brought in to fill in the narrow strip on the outside edge of our driveway. When I moved in and then decide to plant that strip with perennials (it had lawn grass) I quickly discovered that there were only a couple of inches of what could be called top soil. Under that was a rocky, sandy limestone fill. I hauled in about 6 inches of compost and spread it on that strip and that has worked out OK.

There is a retaining wall that is on two side of the house and some of that area had the sandstone fill put in after the retaining walls were installed. The soil above the the retaining walls is poor but, with putting a lot of compost in the perennial planting holes, and using ground covers around the perennials, the plants have done OK there too. The majority of our beds are in about 10-12 inches of good, forest bottom soil. Below that it is a lot of limestone rock and sand...what you would expect from a former sea bottom.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Love it... just so far away from my pancake flat area :cry: :wink: :lol:
Just want bit of it... just a iny bit... :wink:

Hank..do you have the pics in a higher solution... may be the original from your camera ?

I am asked to talk about companión plants too... and never seen it done better/ more easy to see/understand
If you accept, please just put them on the hostapics@gmail.com if you can
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Pia--OK. Let me know if there are any problems.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Very pretty! I love seeing the changes over the seasons. :cool:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply