First order nearly arrived

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

First order nearly arrived

Post by thy »

:o
:roll:
:lol:

Ok, they are in the country, but at my hostafriends place and i am going to pick them up tomorrow

here they are :D

Razors Edge
Clovely
Split Decissions

You all know the NAME behind them :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Kent

Post by Kent »

Oh my...I have a groupie!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

Thanks Pia :D

Kent
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I think you have more than one groupie, Kent ;P
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

:bd:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure he have many :D

Small and just nearly unfurled, can wait to see them during the summer :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I was going to reply exactly the same thing as Josh.
I have Clovely on the way, got Dancing Queen last year, and Ringtail I think will be next.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Hostahaveum

Post by Hostahaveum »

I agree , Kent needs to make up some t-shirts like the rock stars :cool: All us groupies could wear them at hosta events :bd: That goes for Chris too , he could put 2-3 biz cards in each order & when people ask where do you get such great plants we could give them out! You know people get a following for being the best at what they do :D
Hostahaveum
grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

Guess I'm not Kent's only groupie (really it's more my wife that likes the waves and piecrusts).

We got Ringtail last year and have Dancing Queen, Clovelly and Split Descision on order for this year.

Need to get Little Hobber sometime too. My son Calvin calls his tiger "Little Hobber". He even thinks that the Calvin and Hobbes books are about him.......too funny (we never thought of that when he was named).
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
jgh

Post by jgh »

With Clovelly in wholesale from Walters Gardens, I think we should see a lot of them in nurseries this year. I ordered some - I guess that (quite small) royalty check Kent gets makes me a Kent groupie, too!

Just last Sunday I met with a small group of world travelers who will be joining us for part of our July trip to Peru. Discussing previous travels, one looked at another and said "what was the name of that little village (in Devon, England)?" The reply was "Clovelly."

I didn't know! My friends have been to - and enjoyed - Clovelly. Googling it corrected my spelling... not "Clo - lovely" as I imagined it, but "Clo - vel - ly." Still haven't found a definitive guide to pronouncing it.

I found this description at
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles04/europe1.shtml

Searching England for a place where time has stood still, I found it at Clovelly. Here lingers in the low, thatched cottages, and upon the ancient street, much of that quality of life that dominated England centuries ago. The life of today comes and looks in upon it as at a play, but passes on, leaving no impress. In season the tourist toils up and down the single steep street that springs from the sea, and he takes his tea in the still little parlor of some fisherman's home opened as a tea room six months in the year. But the tourist is, after all, but an incident in the village life, not a factor in its development, for that life still retains the definite impress of those " large, free days of Elizabeth."
The town has no parallel anywhere, and when you have seen it you have seen something different, something no other land can show, but not only is it unique; it is conceded to be the most beautiful place in England. One writer sums up the consensus of opinion as follows: " Clovelly is the most exquisite town in England . . . elsewhere there is nothing like it . . . a scene more beautiful could not have been devised by the wit of man deliberately set to produce what is picturesque. . . . The village has grown along lines of perfect beauty. . . . Here is nothing, absolutely nothing, commonplace or ugly."

and I copied a picture from this site - give the photographer his due... click on the link for another picture from up the hill...
http://www.harphampix.com/v2/document.php?id=6475
Attachments
clovely.jpg
Kent

Post by Kent »

Yes it is pronounced Clo-vell-lee

Here is a shot I took from the web...it really is a beautiful little fishing village. I remember riding donkeys up and down the main road in the sixties and playing with a little monkey that a roadside photo vendor used as a live prop to sell photos to tourists. I remember it as such a beautiful and magical place but...

I don't think I ever want to go back and visit again!

I remeber having such a passionate rememberance of the Roman ruins of Bath England from a childhood visit and then after a return visit in my late twenties thinking "what on earth was I so impressed with"

I certainly don't want to chance clouding such fond childhood memories of a place I love with an adult perspective again!

Cheers,
Kent
Attachments
Clovelly 6.jpg
Clovelly 6.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 911 times
barbara

Post by barbara »

I need a t-shirt! great idea. Kent , let me know when its in the mail :D
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Totally off the Hosta topic;
But could you imagine the GT Snow Racer, flying down over that run! :lol:
As an adult I'm sure that I could come up with some really facinating memories! :D
Great pictures!
Izzy
New Topic Post Reply