ID on 2 minis please ........

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
k9clipper

ID on 2 minis please ........

Post by k9clipper »

I bought both of these at a local farmers market last year, They are both about 6 inches fro edge to edge, just to give you a better idea on their size.

Unknown # 1 , bright yelloe with light green margin, very ruffled leaves

Unknown # 2, green with thin white margin, long narrow leaves

Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

The first one looks like Kabitan to me! You will know for sure when slugs start to devour it in a few weeks. :x Number 2 looks just like Stiletto! :D
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Rule #1 - Never buy unlabelled hostas. It will only lead to frustration & gritting of teeth. :x

Having said that... I'm gonna say that Minnow is most likely correct on both IDs.

And if she is right, then it'll only be another year or 2 before both of those outgrows the mini label. They stay low to the ground but they're very prolific & send up lots of new eyes each year.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I would guess Twist of Lime for the first one. To me it is growing too fast to be Kabitan.

I would also guess Stiletto for the 2nd, and agree with Renaldo's suggestion to save your frustration and not buy unlabeled plants ;)
k9clipper

Post by k9clipper »

Yeah, I know. Lesson learned. I didnt think it would bother me, but now I find it very annoying to not know what their names are. Thats why I am buying from Hallsons from now on, no more unlabeled or mismarked plants for me. :)
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

My first thought was twist of lime on number 1.
You can grow it next to lemon lime, lemon delight or lemon frost and compare behavior.
Second I thought Ginko Craig or Stilletto. Stiletto has yellow edges, Ginko Craig white.
New Topic Post Reply