Things I'm working on...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

holy cow , those are very very nice their all diffrent too .

thanks for sharing those lovely pics .
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for sharing your works-in-progress & your insights, Kent. :cool: Thank You!! It's great to see what you're working on. :D One of these days I sure hope to give it a try.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

If you get a chance and don't mind sharing the leaf separating technique, I'm most curious to see what pics of it look like. It sounds like something fun to try as a newbie hybridizer.

Laura :-?
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Ditto what Laura said!!! I was just out in the hosta gardens today and noticed a leaf on something, can't even remember what now, but was thinking it'd be cool to be a whole plant. And how do you care for the bud you cut out?

Hope you can share without giveing your secrets!!!
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I really like several of them! and I'm curious about your leaf selecting procedure too. I never imagined such a thing working, based on what little I've read -- are you just ripping away what you don't want to keep?
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
vawildflower

Post by vawildflower »

very interesting Kent!! Thanks for sharing escpecially after what happen to ribbon dancer....I had no idea that you invested so many years into one hosta.

wild (loulou)
Kent

Post by Kent »

OK,

Next time I do this proceedure I'll take pictures & show you all how easy this is :D

It is not 100% dependable but it does work.

Kent

PS Loulou...It's nice to see you at Hallson's!!
Kent

Post by Kent »

Aurdey,

I dig the plant up and cut away all the roots and meristem (Sp??) that I don't want. The dormant bud under the desired leaf is the one I want to grow the following season. If it is the only bud left on the plant it will be the one to develope the following year.

I sometimes have to do this over and over again each year on a plant that I really want because the following year you might get what you are after but many times only partial results. like year 2 might have 3 leaves looking like what I want so I again in August get the knife out and cut away what I don't like...this will also set the plant back in size but the following year it might be 80% to my liking. and the the following year I'll do it again. So you see this can be a long process.

And when I get the plant right I then need to grow it on and make sure it is stable (not reverting to streaking) and get enought divisions to send to the TC labs. And then sometimes the spring before it gets sent out it dies and I have to start all over again :lol:

Kent
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

That's cool! I should try that on a funny little sport of Venusta that I have! It's been "different" for 4 years now, so I separated the odd eyes last year, but every leaf is not consistent. It would be the perfect plant for experimenting. thanks! :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks for the peek into your hosta program, Kent. You and any other dedicated hybridizers are people of great patience! I'm appreciative of all the hard work, and can't wait to see some of these get into the marketplace. Hurry, though!!! I'm getting older by the minute. :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
mum2knm

Post by mum2knm »

Wow they are gorgeous!
Sabrina
New hosta addict
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Thanks Kent! I'll sharpen up my "garden knife!", this sounds like fun to try.

Laura
New Topic Post Reply