Chartreuse Wiggles

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Chartreuse Wiggles

Post by Patrushka »

Helen, John, Mike and Reldon, All of you listed Chartreuse Wiggles as one of your favorites on the "Long List, Can you pick your top ten?" thread. I love Chartreuse Wiggles but it just doesn't grow well for me. :( I have purchased it from two different nurseries and have it planted in two different locations but it stays sparse with few eyes. What conditions are you growing it in? Does it need more shade? Does it prefer rich soil to my sandy soil? Please help me to figure out what it needs to grow well. Everyone's suggestions are welcome.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Chartreuse Wiggles was recommended with a qualifier that it does tend to attract slugs due to the thinner substance of its leaves. I grew mine against a fence in my "mini" hosta area where it received bright shade most of the day. I also grew it in a 4-inch raised bed so it never sat with its roots in water. The soil was rich and humusy but friable (sand mixed in) and I mulched around it with cypress mulch to help keep the roots on the cool side during the hottest part of the summer -- for me late July and August ... It received regular waterings with a monthly dose of Schultz's liquid fertilizer.
It does not grow a thick tightly-packed clump but sent rhizomes out that, if left undivided would have wiggled their way in various directions.
I liked it because of the way the leaves moved in the garden breezes and the color. I did have to key an eye out for slugs.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Pat - it's one of my favorites, but that doesn't mean I can grow it worth a darn. :wink: :lol: I'm on my 2nd one now & it doesn't appear to be doing much better than its predecessor. I have seen nice ones, but they have yet to appear in my garden... :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
John

Post by John »

Mine has taken a very long time to establish, but I still love it for the color and form.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Pat,

I don't have this one anymore but when I did it grew like a weed and looked fantastic! It turned many heads and this always surprized me since it was planted next to some real top notch hostas.
I had mine in sandy loom and in high shade. I don't think it got but 15 minutes of direct sun a day. It was planted in and area that got lots of water but the ground was fast draining also.

Hope this helps.

Kent
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thank you Helen, Reldon, John and Kent! :D I think both of mine might be getting too much sun. I'm going to try one of them in more shade.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply