a diagnosis needed and a couple of mislabled - can you help?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

a diagnosis needed and a couple of mislabled - can you help?

Post by caliloo »

All the thumbnails are clickable.

This is supposed to be Guardian Angel. I got it in trade last year and I suspect it might not be correct....
Here is Little Wonder that looks awful :( Is it HVX or a nutrient difficiency? I wonder about thelatter because it is in a trough that has not had new potting mix yet this year....

And who the heck is this? I don't remember putting this one in the ground at ALL!

Thansk for any help you can offer!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

First one, not Guardian Angel for sure.
So what is it.
Something small, gold roundish leaves, thick substance, a little rugose. Golden Prayers? (The version of Little Aurora that you can actually grow)
It reminds me of my gold Paradigm seedlings. Abiqua Recluse? (Don't have a good one to compare)

Second one, needs a little time to green up. Not sick.

Third one, Clues as I see them:
Immature, blue with yellow edge. Probably will be wider edge with maturity and be rugose.
If it burns, probably Frances Williams or Samurai. Looks like Tranquility, but I don't see that around anywhere. Sunnybrook looks like that too, from Ruh, also not seen around. Could be Tokudama Flavocircinalis but I expect more cupping. It really looks like an immature Elegans sport to me, that is Frances Williams. Watch for flowering time, Elegans is earliest. Immaturity might throw that timing off.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Alexa,

I don't think the second one is Little Wonder. Looks more like Yelow Splash Rim to me.

Cluld the last one be Squash Edge???

Kent
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Okay - one mystery solved... the first one is Rich Uncle. It was next to Guardian Angel (who got planted late last year) and the plant tag got moved. Of course, the fact that Guardian Angel didn't come back added to the confusion :roll:

Now - on to the second mystery.... the Little Wonder. Kent, there were two seperate plants in the pot that I planted last year, both were tiny and I assumed :roll: they were both Little Wonder. Now that I looked closer, it seems that there were two different varieties in that spot. Here are several photos of both the smaller one and the larger one from the same pot. Could the smaller one really be Little Wonder and the larger one Yellow Splash Rim?

I am still stumped on the last one especially since that is a part of the garden that has only non-varigated plants. What was I thinking and who is it?

Thanks for all the info already given and any more help would be greatly appreciated!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

got one question ( excuse my bad english)...on the first photo´s - the 4th photo! i can see a yellow hosta under the one your asking about. This yellow one seems to have a hmmmm "spot" on its leave..one of my hostas got the same spot ( don´t know how to discribe....???) on 2 leaves...do you know what this is?? Is it from cold/frost in spring???? I´m afraid that it would be a virus...Maybe you´ve got a close up from that leave so that i can see ifits the same thing that i have got on my hosta..??

thank u

greetz
mel
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Hey Mel

If I understand what you are asking, those lighter leaves on the small hosta are fine. They just show more light varigation than the others on the plant. It was the larger one with the prominent veins I was concerned about.

I hope that helps....

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

Hello---no i don´t meen the variegatet ones- i meen the 4th pic and on that pic the yellow hosta(under the one that you cant remember putting it into the ground! ) -where i only see a few leaves on bottom of the photo!..There is one leave that has one marks on it.
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Hi Melanie,

you mean the smaller leave in the middle?
This looks like sunburn to me. And the other brownish marks are from water drops that helped the sun to burn the leave or from a late frost. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Greetz planwerk
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

caliloo wrote: Now - on to the second mystery.... the Little Wonder. Kent, there were two seperate plants in the pot that I planted last year, both were tiny and I assumed :roll: they were both Little Wonder. Now that I looked closer, it seems that there were two different varieties in that spot. Here are several photos of both the smaller one and the larger one from the same pot. Could the smaller one really be Little Wonder and the larger one Yellow Splash Rim?
Both are Little Wonder, i'm pretty sure.
caliloo wrote: I am still stumped on the last one especially since that is a part of the garden that has only non-varigated plants. What was I thinking and who is it?
Alexa
Could this plant be Abby? Just because it shows up all green and takes time to develop the margin.
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

hi....ok ok-might be that i am getting paranoid...;-)))
impatience

Post by impatience »

Could it be Veronica Lake? Sport of Pearl Lake?
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
New Topic Post Reply