Any IDeas on these unknown?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
pretends_to_garden

Any IDeas on these unknown?

Post by pretends_to_garden »

Wow! I actually got them posted!
Top one is fragrant one from sisters yard
2nd one is neighbors blue
bottom one is big box elegans

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Theresa
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

The first one looks to me like Royal Standard. The second one looks like an immature Blue Angel.

Lynn
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

First: Royal Standard
Second: Krossa Regal
Third: Hyacinthina or Aoki

:)
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

1. Royal Standard
2. Krossa Regal
3. Hyacinthina
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

No guesses but, someone killed the bunny in the first pic. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
pretends_to_garden

I think it was the racoons :wink:
jgh

Post by jgh »

I'm going with Dr. Dave's list. I wondered about the Krossa Regal guess as the leaves in a young plant are usually wider, but then I saw that it is described as coming from the neighbor's plant... so even though it has only a few eyes, it is probably a division from a mature plant showing the wider mature leaves.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Spider said:
No guesses but, someone killed the bunny in the first pic.
LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I'll be contrarian and beg to differ with Dave and Jim on #3. Don't know WHAT #3 is, but it's too glossy for Hyacinthina, as well as too bright of a green, plus I don't see the characteristic white edge to the leaf. For comparison, this is one of my Hyacinthinas this evening, look at the edge, the cupping, as well as the dull, glaucous back of the leaf...which you cannot see in Teresa's original picture unfortunately.
Attachments
P6030276.jpg
P6030276.jpg (52.66 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

Pieter has a point. I'll modify my comments... I too remain less certain on number three...

It looked like maybe a Fortunei leaf of some sort to me... Fortunei has been around so long that I see a lot of different plants with differing characteristics all marketed under this umbrella name. sometimes Fortunei shows some upward cupping - but not always. Hyacinthina has a blue blush - but under most growing conditions loses the blush early in the season and is a dark green.

The most commonly marketed Fortunei is Aureomarginata... the oldie-but-goodie with yellow margins. When they do sell an all-green Fortunei, it is usually labeled Hyacinthina.

So... I'm still guessing this plant was purchased at some point as Hyacinthina but certainly wouldn't put a label on it based on my suppositions. Theresa could help sort this out if she confirmed that this plant shows a little bluish in the spring.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Pieter that is an awesome mature looking Hyacinthina.
On another thread from Rozenzobel asking for an ID, the mature huge Gold Standard I suggested (with doubting responders) shows that kind of maturity that you don't see in an immature specimen.
Gold Standard is a sport of Hyacinthina so it should mature the same way.
Pic number three is the most difficult to label.
Of course I can still be wrong on the ID, but this really illustrates the point about the fortunei growth pattern well.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Thank you Dave. This stand is in virtually complete open shade and can get so dark at some point during the season it will look almost black, quite fascinating. For a long time I didn't know the identity of this, my oldest Hosta, and it was you as a matter of fact who identified back in May '06. While the shape and size of the leaf will change with maturity of course, the one thing that is always there is the white edge and the very glaucous back, and they are the main reason for my disagreeing on this being FH: don't see no white edge (he says in his best English)...
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
pretends_to_garden

I don't think it has any blueish tint to it in the early spring, all I know is that it was a bare root in a box from a big box store labeled "elegans", and it has turned out to be a pretty green clump :lol:

Thanks for the ID on the other two. I kinda thought that's what they were, but wasn't positive.

Theresa
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Theresa, are the backs of the leaves shiny/dull/glaucous and per chance do you have pictures of the flowers from last year, all of this would help zero in on what it is you have....how early does it break ground compared to the others, Hyacinthina is a late riser, Elegans for example is quite early by comparison...
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply