Shreded Hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Shreded Hosta

Post by Ginger »

We had a bad storm roll through Monday night. Lots of hail and this time my Hosta did not survive as well as they did the last storm.

Not as bad as it could be, but... :(

Ginger
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Gnger, I feel your pain. We had a hail storm hit on Saturday afternoon. The hostas were looking so nice and big with all the rain this year and did not get hit by a late frost, then this :eek:. I was weeding last night and feeling sad about the holes and striped leaves, but a least they are still there and not washed away by flood waters as allot peoples homes in the state of Iowa.
Time will heal myself and the hostas.
Thanks,
Sue
jgh

Post by jgh »

My sympathy. After several years of being spoiled, I've been hailed three years in a row. This spring started out so slowly, I waited to take what I had planned as a complete photo inventory... and now every shot I take is trying to shoot around the holes.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know the crowns are fine and they will look great next year... but waiting for next year can get kind of old.

Hang in there!
impatience

Post by impatience »

Except for the rips those hosta look really pretty and healthy! :D I got the same thing early in spring and just left them alone. They look ok (if you don't look closely).

We just got lots of wind from the storm. With each storm we get some more limbs falling-I guess they were weakened from the ice storm in Dec.

~sigh~ There's always next year!
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Holy Hostas, Ginger!!! (I couldn't resist....sorry....I use to watch the old Batman tv show when I was growing up. :oops: )
Sorry about the damage, but I have to agree with what Imp said......your hostas do look great otherwise. It sure does seem like the weather is giving most of the country a beating this year, doesn't it? Hang in there!
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Ginger, I'm sorry your hostas got shredded. :cry: I was wondering if your got hail with those storms.
They do look really healthy tho!! So they'll recover nicely.

impatience, where do you live?
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Sorry about your hail damage, Ginger. I've got a little bit of damage here from a storm a couple of weeks ago. Nothing too major though fortunately. Everybody's already said about all you can say. **sigh** Hang in there!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

They look awful to me, because they were looking so great!
I just stood at the front door and watched the hail and wind whip at them. Even my Elephant Ears are shredded, but as you all have said, there will be new leaves and they will recover!
My Hibiscus Pink Swirl came out unscathed thank goodness! It is loaded with buds :D

Ginger
impatience

Post by impatience »

Debbie, I live in Norman.

You certainly live in gardening paradise. I love to go to Tulsa in the fall to look at all the color-tho, all year around you have a beautiful city.

imp
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Ginger this is so sad to see the hail damage to your lovely hosta's and so early in the season.
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

imp, the OK City Hosta Club(don't know the name of it) just came to Tulsa about 3 weeks ago for garden tour with our club. We saw some beautiful places.

I like to go to the Ozarks or Talahina for fall colors, but it's really pretty here too.
New Topic Post Reply