Blue Streakers?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
karen171

Blue Streakers?

Post by karen171 »

New hostaholic here. :D Am wondering if there are many blue hostas that are streaked? Would love to see some photos. I saw Blue Shadows and think it's gorgeous.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Gandhi
sugar

Post by sugar »

Jan van den Top has a great blue streaked plant.

Hosta Breeders Love, a streaked Love Pat

I recently bought one, and I'm very pleased with it

http://www.vandentop.nl/Breeders_Love.html

The picture doesn't do the plant good. In real live, contrast is much better (yellow/blue)
karen171

Post by karen171 »

Wow, I love that....want that! :) Thanks for sharing.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Gandhi
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Blue Lightning is a streaked Blue Umbrellas.

Probably the most famous blue streaker is Dorset Clown.

There are a few streaked Blue Angels around, one being Fire and Brimstone. Actually, I think that is a streaked Guardian Angel.
karen171

Post by karen171 »

Hi Josh. Yes, it is Guardian Angel...looked it up on the library. Those you mentioned are very pretty! I would love to have Dorset Clown. Jim's hosta has it but it's an amazing $300. I was thinking of trying to find a cheaper blue streak if I can find one on his catalog. He has a lot of hostas!

I just ordered Spilt Milk and Deep Blue Sea from Chris. Spilt Milk is somewhat streaked...can't wait to get it.
Lol, this is my third order from Chris in as many weeks. :P
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

Karen,
Lots of blue streaked hostas. Go to the Hosta Library and look up a blue hosta. Then click on Hugo's Database to find if there's a streaked form. You can also find ths information by looking in THE HOSTA HANDBOOK by Mark Zilis, if you have a copy.
One blue streaked that comes to mind is 'Ice Age Trail,' a sport of 'Big Daddy.' Don
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Don right with 'Ice Age Trail' just either pick one out in person or let them know you want one with good blue color, I've seen many that are dark green or med. green. Chris many still have some still just not listing them. Just ask him!
karen171

Post by karen171 »

Thanks, Don....great idea. Yes, I do have the handbook...checked out from the library. Carol, Ice Age Trail has been on my wish list....I think Chris said he was out of them but will ask again to make sure. I would definitely want the one with good blue coloring. Wouldn't be able to pick one out in person as there aren't any sources for hostas near me. Only the dreaded box stores. :x
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Karen if Chris doesn't have any maybe some others who post here might have an 'Ice Age Trail' with bluer leaves available.
Here's pictures of my 2 year old TC.

Notice the newest leaf growing, it will blue up in a few days.
karen171

Post by karen171 »

Carol, your IAT is gorgeous. Looks like you have one with good blue coloring. Chris says he doesn't have any left for this season. Yes, I would like to know if anyone else has them available...thanks.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

I got a fickle blue genes from josh and really like it

don't know if he has any more
karen171

Post by karen171 »

Greenguy, I looked at Fickle Blue Genes on the library...it's very beautiful. Can you tell me how to contact Josh so I can ask if he has any left?

New to hostas and not familiar with everyone yet.

Thanks! :D

Karen
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

he posted above

galaxy can also be very blue
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Wish I could find a Galaxy in Canada! Will post pics of my IAT when I return home.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
loisf

Post by loisf »

The streaked Krossa Regal sport, Regal Promenade, is a grey-blue streaker that I love. I'm afraid this photo is greener than the actual plant is.

Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Regal Promenade is hard to photo for me too, and it's a shame cause it's such a beautiful hosta and the cream get brighter and richer as the summer progress.
New Topic Post Reply