Nice form

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
hostadad

Nice form

Post by hostadad »

Hello everybody. I wanted to mention that I feel really bad about all the flooding in the Midwest. I can't imagine what it would be like :( We have had flooding here in the Northwest, but nothing that I can remember compares to the severity in the Midwest. To all the wonderful people affected, I feel really bad and hope things will be back to normal very soon.

This is a picture of my nearing maturity Warpaint.

Sincerely,

David
Attachments
War Paint.jpg
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

WOW!! :o Beautiful hosta and nice picture! :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Hi David! *waving*

That is one gorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-geous Warpaint!
How's the rest of your beautiful garden doing this year? :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I agree!! Great form and beautiful!! How long does the color hold for you?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi David!!!

Boy that is a beauty for sure!! I loved mine, and it's a baby.

I know.....it's so sad about the flooding..... :(
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi David!

I was wondering the same thing - how long does the color hold for you on that one? Mine only lasted only about a week or two this year, so they were pretty unimpressive. Last year the center color lasted longer :hmm:
myskyblue2

Post by myskyblue2 »

:o :o :o JUST ADDED THIS ONE TO "THE LIST"
Same Q as the rest about color. Growth rate??
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

What holds the color?.......Well, I can't pinpoint the exact reason for sure, but here are my thoughts and observations.
I noticed that the light exposure, did not make a difference. I have two Warpaints, one in open shade with some sun, and one in a shadier spot. The brighter side of the one in open shade has a more white in the leaf than the back side of that plant. But the other Warpaint is growing in the shadier spot all the time and has brilliant white centers too and larger leaves. :hmm: Moisture?, nope I don't think so, they are watered the same amount as any hosta anywhere. The age? Well, the leaves look the same as last year. The white streaking lasted into August, some leaves even longer. The growth rate was actually pretty fast. It must be the temperatures. Maybe the cooler temperatures preserves the colors.

David
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Beautiful hosta - shape and markings. I am going to have to look into this one :)
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Very nice hosta! It's one I've have been going to get and almost added it this year. Held back because of all the ice storms has damaged so many of our trees and shade is at a minus. Knowing that yours that the light exposure didn't make a difference I just might add one still this year.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Spectacular plant...and picture, David!

I think you may be right about temps affecting the coloration. The color held quite a while for me this year and we had a cool spring. The plants I had in the greenhouse faded quickly.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Hey David, I was talking about your Warpaint leaf from the Davenport leaf show last year several times this summer at the conventions and missed you at the midwest.
Great looking plant! I got War Paint in the secret trade this year.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

WOW! :o
What a great-looking plant. It's good to hear from you, David. I really missed seeing you at the convention, too.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
poppi

Post by poppi »

Gorgeous! Can't wait for mine to grow up!
myskyblue2

Post by myskyblue2 »

Thanks for the extra info David, I'll have to get one.Your's is so nice :D I have more sun than shade, but I could move a few around. War Paint looks so special. What a statement!
Laura
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Wow, what a beautiful plant with beautiful form. That is why I bought War Paint last year. Last season it held it's color just until late August. After reading this post, I went to look at it (it was beautiful this spring) and it is all green! I know it is getting more sun this year because I removed some trees...
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
jgh

Post by jgh »

my color lasted about two weeks, with a third week of subtle interest. It was frustrating... I meant to get a photo and then we had some hail and crappy weather... and when I finally remembered it was too late to get a good shot. When it was in full color I don´t think there was a prettier hosta in my garden.

Still... after it was all green I had a garden visitor who asked what that gorgeous hosta is. I guess if you don´t know about the spectacular variegation, you can look at the plant and see a very nice form with really attractive green leaves.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Beautiful, David!! :cool: :D I was wondering if we were going to hear from you this year. You need to post more pics of your gardens. :)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply