Hostas that have far surpassed your size expectations?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Hostas that have far surpassed your size expectations?

Post by Chris_W »

I was wondering, which hostas are you growing that have far surpassed your expectations when it comes to size?

One of mine that has done this is Abiqua Moonbeam. It has plenty of space where I put it, but it has grown bigger than Lady Isobel Barnett that is nearby :wow: It is easily over 4 feet across, and this garden is only 4 years old! If it keeps growing I'll have to call it a Very Large plant instead of a Large plant!
Attachments
abiqua_moonbeam.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

My Abiqua Moonbeam will probly be that size next year. I relocated it to the current location next to September Sun & August Moon 2 years ago. I thought I'd given all 3 of them plenty of space at the time, but... September Sun is probly my largest/fullest/tallest hosta. I'll have to measure it when I get the chance. But it's been huge for 3 years now. And it was planted in this spot in 2003. El Capitan is another that has sure exceeded my expectations & is maybe even bigger around than September Sun this year.

But on the other hand, I have a lot of others that get large for everyone else, but never seem to do much for me. I'm sure the 2 years of frost setbacks have contributed to them being undersized though.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Polar Moon 3 years old has grown 27" H x 44" W leaf size 8 1/2 W x 10 1/2 L and still growing much larger then I expected and will have to be moved very soon as it is crowding out Minuteman, Lucy Vitols and Edward Wargo. Guess so much for measuring when placing hostas! :roll:

Now the other which have grown far larger then expected is Thunderbolt about 6 years old and just ran out with a yard stick, it's now 34 1/4" H x 50" W. And it's fighting with tree roots! I think Thunderbolt is winning! :lol:
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

With all the rain this spring/summer, I have several that have outdone themselves, but Golden Sculpture has out done my expections. I didn't plan my gardens that well as a newby so I have several plants gobbling up others but i didn't know golden scuulpture was going to get that large, she came in with a vengious this year.
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Big Francee

Post by jobranch »

This Francee measures 41" across and has grown like crazy this year. I never expected it to get this big. I have had it for years and have moved it a couple of times. I think it likes where it is - won't move it again.

poppi

Post by poppi »

Niagra Falls...This year it's at least 3ft tall and 4ft wide. :eek: The leaves are so large they have started to pucker and fold a bit. See attached photo.

Love Pat: Every year it gets better. This year it's nearly 3' tall and at least that wide. The leaves are about 8-9" long. It's get a good bit of afternoon sun too and it holds up quite well.
Attachments
niagra falls
niagra falls
Last edited by poppi on Jul 28, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

exceeded expectations

Post by Marlys »

Golden Sculpture is HUGE this year in my garden. :o
It is amazing :!:
I really had no idea it would get so darn big :D
And it's young yet too.
I'm loving it but its neighboring hostas are sure getting crowded out. :roll:

MM
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Years ago I worked as a gardener and at one place they had 3 different hostas - Francee, Love Pat, and Honeybells - and they were all huge. I had never seen a Love Pat that large so didn't recognize it at first, but we divided one clump and deep inside the crown I found a plant tag that had obviously been marking it years earlier. The crown had completely grown around it, and my knife cut through the tag while dividing or I never would have found it.

Since then I've had various discussions with people about how large Love Pat can really grow but few believe me when I tell them, so I'm glad Poppi can confirm it for me as I really started to think I was going crazy or something. Love Pat is often listed as a "medium" hosta :wow:

Would love to see more pictures of these too, if you have them :D

Oh, and is Garden Party the green edged Golden Sculpture and Garden Treasure the green centered version? Or do I have those confused?
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Polar Moon in front and Garden Treasure in the back right.
Back roll left to right Inniswood, Krossa Regal and Garden Treasure. Next 2nd roll American Halo and Minuteman. Polar Moon, Edward Wargo. Barely showing in lower right corner Lucy Vitals.
Note that Polar Moon is taller then the rest.

Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I hate to say this Carol, but several of those are "giant" sized hostas that should rival your Polar Moon for size :eek:

Thanks for the picture!

Chris
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Thunderbolt last year July 2007 please excuse the weeds!

July 2007

Thunderbolt this year June 2008

June 2008
LisaO

Post by LisaO »

OMG I look at your hostas and mine are all babies...
"Busy Mom" from son up to son down :)
Lisa

Lisa's Hosta List
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Garden Treasure is a sport of Treasure,
Garden Party is a sport of Golden Sculpture.
(I had to look that up, but of course I HAD to know the answer)
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

That Thunderbolt is something! Poppi - NF is beautiful; am putting it on my list.
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Hi Chris,

Bought a bunch of (90+) hosta tc's during the Summer of 2005, but I had no idea they were only babies and would grow larger. LOL! So I guess you could say they all have exceeded my expectations. Although out of the lot I have to say Victory is the most impressive. From a puny 2nd year tc purchased in July 05, its still only one eye, but it towers over Abba Dabba Do. Very impressive (and scarry). :eek:
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Chris_W
Administrator

Re: Hostas that have far surpassed your size expectations?

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing all of these, they were some great examples. I think you guys have been holding out on us :lol:
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Mine are too young for size expectations, but Phantom has surpassed my expectations so far as me likeing it. It had pretty flowers and has held up well through the summer here. (Phantom, Wheaton Blue, and Halcyon have very little burn compaired to the others). :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Almost all of them!!! Except, of course, for the few that just don't grow anywhere. Even Fair Maiden and Remember Me decided to grow a litlte bit this year.
I'll try to get some pictures of a few of the monsters and maybe take a measurement or two. I haven't had the camera out much this year.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Saint Paul and Climax both blew me away this year. Must be where they are planted, but they got huge leaves on them.
Nancy Gill is also fantastic, in the same area.
Old Glory was one that I didn't appreciate when I got it, but within a year it was awesome.
Shady Affair from the Des moines convention in 2004 has gotten real big and piecrusty.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Sweet Home Chicago. I'm not sure if it is larger than the suggested size but it's diameter is larger than I expected it to be. I was going to measure when I was home but someone moved my measuring tape.

Dick Ward and Witches Brew. They are either covering or reaching into the space of the little hostas planted next to them.

Komodo Dragon and Niagara Falls. I knew they would get big but I guess I didn't realize how big. I had to move Komodo Dragon because they were growing into each other.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply