Check for cutworms!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

Check for cutworms!

Post by HostaDesigner »

They've been busy early this year. I killed 6 before I decided to just spray the whole bed. They were really chomping down on the hostas just since yesterday. :!:
Canadian-hosta-girl

Re: Check for cutworms!

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

hosta designer , may i ask what is the treatment for them ? i think i may have them , i found 5 hostas that came out of the ground this year with holes chewed up in them or the top of the eye all chewed up , i tried looking aound the plant daytime , and evening time and early morning all week found nothing .... but now unfurling and those poor hostas look like they got hit by hail or gun shot ....
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Hi there, I just used a weak mix of Triazicide that I got from Lowe's. It is specifically labeled for cutworms on ornamentals and flowers. Honestly, this is the first year I actually had to spray for them. Usually I don't have trouble until later in the year. Even then, It's no more than one or two.
spencer1400

Post by spencer1400 »

I have the same problem. It seems too cold here in Indiana for the slugs to be out. I have holes in hostas all over the garden. Is there any time of day that you should be able to see them? I'll be on my way to Lowe's this week.

Jane
Canadian-hosta-girl

hostadesigner , i'll have to check here in Canada (Quebec) what is available for cutworm because their isnt much pesticide left that are good on the shelves .....i dont know if we have Triazicide here ??? i'll ask , thanks for the reply :)

i am affraid not doing anything the problems will get worse, i have leaves like sum of all that for once this year wore to be big well the leaf as a hard time opening because it is so chewed up :(

anyone from Canada knows if triazicide or of a product brand here for this too ? available in nurseries or garden centers or home depot , rona , walmart etc ?
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

OH, NO! This is so early for cutworms! I'll have to start keeping an eye out. I've used BT in the past, try to use it carefully so as not to kill of desirable butterfly larvae.
Sevin is good, too. I don't know about the availability in Canada, but it's on the shelves here. Or you can go out at night with a flashlight and shine it on the ugly little guys. They usually drop right to the ground when the light hits them, and then you can squash them. I don't kill many things, but I cannot abide cutworms in my hostas!!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Canadian-hosta-girl

would malhation work for this ? i have 2 bottles of this left before they got it off the shelves and it works great for sevral problems
Canadian-hosta-girl

i went back last night with a flashlight and i found 5 black charcoal grey tin small worm? what are those it is not like the white worms found in grass , much much thinner and small ....
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, those gray worms are the cutworms. They are really bad in some areas here too. I had to pull Hosta 'Paradigm' early because they cut through so many eyes as they were emerging that the leaves now look like snowflake designs :roll:
Canadian-hosta-girl

Chris_W wrote:Yup, those gray worms are the cutworms. They are really bad in some areas here too. I had to pull Hosta 'Paradigm' early because they cut through so many eyes as they were emerging that the leaves now look like snowflake designs :roll:
Chris would malhation work for this ? and be safe on the hosta ? i know some ferns are sensible to this products but i never used it on hostas .....i use it on liliums and hydrangea .

would spraying the ground with it at night work ?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Yes, Malathion would work and is safe on hostas. I use it all summer for mosquito control. Since the cutworms spend the daytime in the soil it is better to drench the soil around the plants that are being damaged. I use a broadcast spreader, using granular insecticide, but in the bad areas I'll use liquids. Just haven't had the time yet this spring...
New Topic Post Reply