Summer 2009

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Linda P

Re: Summer 2009

Post by Linda P »

Marvelous Marlys....
Yes, I will visit your garden this summer! I can't wait.
The only bad thing about your visit last summer was that it didn't last long enough. :(
Who knows what that little ruffled thing will do this year. I've had some of those wavy little seedlings that lose their curls when they grow up.
We have a mix of sleet, snow, freezing rain. I agree, a good day to wander around the internet and look at hostas!

Here's a couple more from the chicken yard.
P1010019.JPG Stardust May 26 09.JPG
P1010019.JPG Stardust May 26 09.JPG (50.22 KiB) Viewed 765 times
P1010020.JPG DylansDillyAlvatineTaylor May 26 09.JPG
P1010020.JPG DylansDillyAlvatineTaylor May 26 09.JPG (60.87 KiB) Viewed 765 times
P1010023.JPG Minnesota Nice May 26 09.JPG
P1010023.JPG Minnesota Nice May 26 09.JPG (59.09 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Linda - I need to learn how to post pictures here again. I used to know how then something changed.
I love your photos. They reflect your passion for beautiful plants / hostas.

But you didn't respond to the question about submitting photos to the Hosta Library. ???
I sent one recently of H 'Heart & Soul'. I didn't even know about that little plant until Connie gave me a single eye division a few years ago. It grew so well & it is such a nice little plant. "Now a favorite in Marlys' Garden". Rob Mortko told me it was his first introduction thus 'special'. I met him at once when he spoke at our local hosta society mtg. He seems like such a nice guy.

And it is a definite GO!!! for you visiting Marlys' Gardens in July 2010. I'm so excited to have you finally coming to visit! :D

Any other Hallsonite / Hosta Friend that would like to come enroute, to or from the Regional Convention, you are invited too. Just give me a call so I know how much ice tea to stir up!!! I'll buy some pink lemonade too.

MM
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Marlys - why exactly do you want to give that nice little seedling the nickname of 'FB' - ?? :hmm: It doesn't look like me at all...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Now Renaldo - that is a matter of opinion! I think you are cute and fun to be with.
I'm sure FB means Fun (Frilly) Boy!!!
Isn't that right Linda?
But actually the real meaning wouldn't be too bad of a name for a fat, mean, thick-skinned, squatty-type male hosta, would it?
The real name just could never be said out loud in mixed company.
Hey, it's a good story. - MM :lol:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ooops, sorry, Marlys. No, I still have not sent any pics in to Bob, and yes, I need to do that!
And yes, that little hosta is temporarily named Frilly Boy. I'm pretty sure that name came up
when Marlys, Connie, and Robin were here last summer. I wonder who thought of it first?
Seems the conversation was something like "Who is that frilly little boy?"
Who knows...maybe it was all a dream. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Linda P

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm not real partial to the current name. Sounds like the name a bunch of women would come up with... :roll:

Fat _______ wouldn't fit this one at all though. I'm envisioning a cross of Bubba x Rosedale Tractor Seat to get the right look.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Never fear, Reldon. It will have a better name than that if it doesn't lose the edges.
But...what kind of name do you expect from a bunch of us wimmin folk????
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe you'll like the name of this volunteer seedling better???
This one is Tractor Boy...another green volunteer.   It's got sort of a John Deere green color.   I named it for my grandson who is a huge John Deere fan, and we have called him tractor boy since he was a little tyke.  He was always wanting to climb on the tractor, and he'd do anything to get to drive the lawnmower when he was old enough.   Now he's almost 15, and he'd rather run the skidloader or tractor.
This one is Tractor Boy...another green volunteer. It's got sort of a John Deere green color. I named it for my grandson who is a huge John Deere fan, and we have called him tractor boy since he was a little tyke. He was always wanting to climb on the tractor, and he'd do anything to get to drive the lawnmower when he was old enough. Now he's almost 15, and he'd rather run the skidloader or tractor.
P1010007.JPG green volunteer May 09.JPG (61.49 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Linda P

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Good name, Linda - looks like a vigorous grower.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Is it spring yet? Your hostas are fabulous! :cool: I really love Skylight and Frilly Boy! Thanks for sharing some lovely green. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

You're welcome, Patrushka...good to hear from you.
Reldon, I thought you might like that name a little better. It is a vigorous grower, good substance, and some whitish backs. I like it a lot, even though it's just another greenie.
Here's Tractor Boy in bloom...lots of nice lavendar flowers on this one and they show off pretty well.
Here's Tractor Boy in bloom...lots of nice lavendar flowers on this one and they show off pretty well.
Here are a couple more pics.
Here's a look at the back side of the bed in the middle of the front yard.  I don't take a lot of pictures here for some reason.
Here's a look at the back side of the bed in the middle of the front yard. I don't take a lot of pictures here for some reason.
P1010036.JPG BigFootRedDrgnSprngFlng May 26 09.JPG (58.28 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Another one from the 'far side'.   Victory has been rather slow to take off, but last summer it really showed some muscle.   I started with a really tiny liner, so this isn't really a bad growth rate for 5 years.  I expect it will really be a monster in another couple of years.
Another one from the 'far side'. Victory has been rather slow to take off, but last summer it really showed some muscle. I started with a really tiny liner, so this isn't really a bad growth rate for 5 years. I expect it will really be a monster in another couple of years.
P1010037.JPG Victory May 26 09.JPG (58.32 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Linda P

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Nice pictures. Lots of lovely hostas but I was struck by your 'White Christmas'. A hard one for some people to grow.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks, Ann. I don't know why this one is so happy there. I had one some years ago, and it never did much and finally just withered away. This one has been going strong for 6 years, and is going on number 7. It does get a brief period of mid-day sun, and bright light the rest of the day. Oh, and it's in the 'chicken yard', where the soil is everything you could want it to be.

Here's a view of the front yard, with Gilt by Association taking center stage. Also in the pic are Winfield Blue (another secret trade plant) on the right, Antoinette and El Nino to the left and behind.
P1010053.JPG GltbyAssctn May 26 09.JPG
P1010053.JPG GltbyAssctn May 26 09.JPG (63.47 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Linda P

My Hosta List
SWMOgardens
USDA Zone: 6

Post by SWMOgardens »

Touch of class is one of my favorites.

God walked with man in Eden's shade,
Christ sought a garden when He prayed.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

More beauties, Linda!! I really like that Gilt By Association combination. Nice contrasts with the blues. I finally saw the light on that one last summer afte seeing a really nice one in a garden & picked one up from one of the vendors in Lansing.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Reldon, my GbA was a secret trade plant from Art, and it was definitely on my wish list. I just plopped it down there because there was room, but it will stay. It's a fast grower, and in just a couple of years it really shines in the garden. I love the combination of colors in that spot, and the GbA really kicks up the color in Antionette....which is already a favorite.
Nice Touch of Class there, SWMO. I think this is one plant that will just get better and better as it ages.
Here's the next section of the front yard bed, just past Antoinette.
P1010054.JPG SeaGulfStream May 26 09.JPG
P1010054.JPG SeaGulfStream May 26 09.JPG (71.04 KiB) Viewed 709 times

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I can't wait to see Sea Gulf Stream this summer. Beautiful plant!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks for posting these pics Linda, they all look fabuloso. I really like the combos you put together, just beautiful. Love Skylight, GbA, that Cascades leaf, and that frilly edged seedling too. These pics looked so great after all the snow...come on spring!
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks, Paul. Many of the combos are pure serendipity, but I do try to make nice groupings when I think of it. I have worked for many years in fiber art and design, along with some experience in floral design, so my eye is always searching for a pleasing arrangement.
Here's a whole plant shot of Cascades. It's just a dynamite plant, but a little hard to place, since it's such a head-turner. I have to peel my eyes off it to look at the nearby plants.
P1010111.JPG cascades may 09.JPG
Reldon, that Sea Gulf Stream has been a little slow to take off, but last year it was looking pretty good. Should be even better this year! It's right in front of a big Reptillian, and between the two of them are at least 30 or 40 seedlings. I let most of the grow there for 2 years, and this year I'll have a lot of excavating to do to get them out of there. There are a couple that I will probably set aside to grow on, the others...who knows? Maybe they'll go out to the windbreak to join the survival of the fittest out there.
Here's the next section of that bed. For some reason, I sort of skipped over a huge Gunsmoke( you can see it looming in the background of the Sea Gulf Stream picture), a hosta I cannot look at without thinking of my dad, who missed out on most of the original episodes of Gunsmoke, the series, because he was working nights. He was so tickled to find all of them replayed once he got cable when he moved to town. He watched it every day when he sat down for his afternoon 'nap'.
Northern Exposure is the show-off in this bed, and there's Sleeping Beauty, Maekawa, a no-name that doesn't seem to be Rickrack, and then a bit Satisfaction looming in the background.
P1010055.jpg NrthrnExp May 26 09.jpg
P1010055.jpg NrthrnExp May 26 09.jpg (69.38 KiB) Viewed 694 times
We're at -2 here this morning, and I'm finding it harder and harder to imagine that these scenes in my garden will ever reappear!

Linda P

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Another nice stretch of that garden, Linda. Cascades looks great!! I think that was the one in Trudy's garden last fall that really stood out & still looked good. I was a bit surprised since I thought it was probly a newer variety.

I know what you mean. Not sure what the temp is, but it's snowing again here now...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply