Empress Wu

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
gamekeeper

Empress Wu

Post by gamekeeper »

Wanted this plant this year and Chris didn't have it when I asked but got a flyer from Whiteflower farm with their (special?) offering and got one it came last week and is a very nice plant and in the ground.I really overspent again this year.
Linda P

Re: Empress Wu

Post by Linda P »

Okay, let's not talk about overspending. :blush:
I'm glad you got the Empress. She takes a little while to settle in and grow, but mine from 2 years ago put
on some good size this year. If you grow seeds, this one will give you some nice big offspring.
I have 4 seedlings out there from seed I got from Brian & Virginia..they donated it for an auction...
and they are really nice this year.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

The deer ate mine......hope it comes back next year. The stems that are left are nice and green still.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Ugh, don't you hate that when the deer decide to completely devour something? I wouldn't worry, though, I'm sure it will come back next year.

Empress Wu has surprised me. Usually the giants take a long time to settle in before they get going, but this one jumped out of the ground this year. It didn't multiply this season and didn't flower so I won't really expect it to increase yet next year, but they were definitely larger than expected. Too bad I'll only have a few in the spring, so they will be priced a little high, but I'll have a large crop in 2012 at a really good price :)

Now if it was just something other than green, but I'm sure with all the tissue culturing begin done with this one and possibly hybridizing there will likely be something else from it later ;)
jgh

Post by jgh »

Chris... you mean a yellow-margined sport named Empress Woo-hoo...
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Mine has done really well this year. Big leaves on long stalks... but unfortunatley the squirrels have decided they love my hosta, and are working on eating all the leaves off of Empress Woo, Sagae, Lakeside Cha Cha and a few others :evil:

G
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
jgh

Post by jgh »

Empress Boo-hoo
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

And I suppose a flamboyantly streaked one would be Empress Yoo-Hoo!
loisf

Post by loisf »

Have you guys been sniffing slug bait again?
dash
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by dash »

Lol.. nice banter. I also planted mine last week. My DW ordered it a month or so ago from Whiteflower farms special. Healthy looking plant so I gave it plenty of room to grow. I started clearing more land in case it lives up to the hipe :eek:

Dash
Dennis
New Topic Post Reply