Got any underappreciated common hostas?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
downsouthWDE
USDA Zone: 8

Got any underappreciated common hostas?

Post by downsouthWDE »

I have one that got moved around every time I did something in the yard for a few years. I finally left it in one spot for about 2 years, and it is thriving. It is "Francee". I know, I know....it is just a Francee, but I think it is beautiful and often forgotten. It is in a place where rain water spills off the roof, directly onto it, but it doesn't seem to mind. It gets 100% shade til very late, then it gets about 30 minutes of late evening sun. A couple weeks ago, tornadoes ripped through North AL. Later that night, here in SE AL, we got 1.2 inches of rain in about 30 minutes. Poor ole Francee took a severe beating. Her remaining leaves were smashed to the ground. Later the next day, her leaves had perked up to this point....
IMG_3316-1.JPG
Today, she is back to this point, and spreads 41 inches...
IMG_3370-1.JPG
And she isn't through yet...
2011-05-04_19-02-43.jpg
Again...it's just a Francee, but I love her anyway...LOL. Any of you have an old faithful common hostas?
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Got any underappreciated common hostas?

Post by Tigger »

Gotta give Francee her props.

I'm trying to think of hostas that fit your category. It's funny that some oldies but goodies are not so easy to find in the trade anymore. (Luckily, Francee will be—and should always be—available.)

I think some of the "workhorse" hostas fit the description. Those things that grow so well you're always splitting them and giving them away, and using as borders both in the front and in the back of beds. For me, that includes Blue Cadet, Gold Drop, and Betsy King (for bluish, goldish, and dark green colors). They don't have eye-popping leaf colors, but each of these blooms very well, putting to rest any thought that hostas should only be grown for their leaves.

David
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

I have to give it to good ol' lancifolia. It's nothing special, but it's one hosta that just won't die. I know, because I've dug it up, tossed it on a clump of dirt and rocks, and a month later found it blooming...and it's coming back full force this year even though all its roots are exposed and have been all winter. Plus, it has lots of pretty flowers in the summer. It's as common as common gets, but you can't fault how sturdy it is. And, for as thin as the leaves are, mine has never been slug-munched.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'll second the nomination for Francee. If I had the energy I'd likely replace all all my Undulata Albomarginatas with Francee (although that won't happen because the UAs are all mired into tree roots).

And I'd also like to nominate Fortunei Aureomarginata - mine is magnificent.
Francee
Francee
Fortunei Aureomarginata
Fortunei Aureomarginata
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jgh

Post by jgh »

All of these are dirt-cheap in wholesale.

Krossa Regal and Regal Splendor - nice vase shapes, good color, easy, tolerant...

Fortunei Aureomarginata - given some bright light and undisturbed, gets to be a large impressive specimen.

Royal Standard - takes amazing amount of sun for a green hosta, takes abuse - just sits there getting bigger and bigger... and provides nice fragrant flowers.

Golden Tiara - buy one, cover an acre in 10 years...
downsouthWDE
USDA Zone: 8

Post by downsouthWDE »

jgh, I love that about golden tiara, too. I have some that get a couple hours of mid day south Alabama direct sun, and never show any sign of burn.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I like antioch, jade cascade, and gold regal for oldies but goodies.
And I love any and all of the tiaras.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Gold Standard is another hard-to-beat oldie, along with all of her sports.

August Moon is a good grower for me, and also has an impressive group of sports
that are probably better than their parent. September Sun is one that comes to mind.

Nigrescens...a real showstopper in the garden.

Ginko Craig...a nice smaller hosta that makes a good edging plant.

I second Antioch...mine has a prime spot and people often stop to ask "WHAT is that?"

Blue Angel and Love Pat have both been around for a while, and it would be hard to improve
on either of them.

I'm sure I can think of some more..but that's a start..and I second all the other ones!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I also really like Blue Cadet....at least I think it's Blue Cadet- it was labeled Hadspen Blue when I bought it but I know it's not that. I like it's cute little perfect mound of small leaves and the many flowers. Slugs completely ignore it, as if they think, "bah, that one's nothing special".

ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I also use Ginko Craig as a border plant but I really like Allan P. McConnell which is another oldie.
Allan P. McConnell border with Restless Sea in the background.
Allan P. McConnell border with Restless Sea in the background.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Crispula is one of my favorite hostas,,, green with a pure white wavy edge :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by bkay2000 »

I'll second the Francee. I got one accidently, labeled as Wide Brim. I aquired it last year. This year, it's huge and beautiful. I can't believe it's only a year old.

bkay
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

Watching how vigorously my 3rd year 'Royal Standard' is growing under my soul-sucking maple tree (I only put the hardiest ones there), I'd have to give it a vote. There's nothing wrong with a nice green hosta. Nothing at all.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
loisf

Post by loisf »

I'd like to put in a plug for undulata Albomarginata. Have you ever taken a close look at the leaves. There are white sections, green sections, grey-green sections and green-grey sections. I think it is a beautiful leaf and a wonderful, forgiving plant.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

You all have made a nice list of oldies but goodies! Francee is a beauty and she will tolerate quite a bit of sun. She is a favorite in my gardens. I have three Francees in my gardens and she is a wonderful specimen and mother of all those other wonderful plants, Minuteman, Patriot, Pathfinder.

Lancifolia is just so under appreciated. It is a work horse in my gardens concealing unsightly spots and adding pizzazz to another area under a tree.

August Moon is just the best and takes so much sunshine too. IMHO, no hosta garden should be without August Moon. Many of its sports are awesome plants too.

Regal Splendor / Awesome!!!
Elegans - still my favorite!!!
Blue Angel - what a beauty!!!
Allan P. Mc Connell - nice specimen plant / wonderful edger / grows like crazy!
Fragrant Bouquet / wonderful plant!

The list could go on & on. Crested Surf, I got in a trad and it is a wonderful frilly little creature!!! Very lovely small plant.

MM
Scuba Dude
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Scuba Dude »

Two off the top of my head are.

Peedee Laughing River and Yellow Splash Rim.

Kent
poppi

Post by poppi »

Totally agree about Francee...she's the best!

I also like Paul's Glory. Very hardy and nicely shaped.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Just walking thru the gardens today halcyon is superb this time of year as is hadspen shamphire. It is bright yellow and is aglow next to the blue of the halcyon. I also have to say I love blue jay, haspen heron and good old olive baily langdon this time of year.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

@ Kent: Peedee Laughing River is common? I have one of the few I've ever seen. (I'm sure Barbara Tiffany has one, though.) Definitely a cute hosta, if a little thin on the substance side.
New Topic Post Reply