My wife wanted a hosta garden

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

My wife wanted a hosta garden

Post by jerryshenk »

We recently moved to a place with a lot of "garden potential". My wife thought this one bank would be a great place for a hosta garden. I have a relative who runs Shenk's Greenhouse and they sell perennials in the spring, close for the summer and sell mums in the fall. I talked him into selling me some hosta plants even though they have had too much sun during the summer and they're a little burnt...not something that would look good on the shelved. Well, we bought 7 different varieties - I think that can legitimately be called a "hosta garden".

1 - Hosta purchase
DSC_20110901_143910 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

The top of the bank gets a bit of afternoon sun so we have some Guacamole, Stained Glass and August Moon (not 100% sure - picture included below) for the sunniest spots and then June, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Twilight and Deja Blu for the rest of the area. There was already Royal Standard there.

2 - Overview
DSC_20110901_190136 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

3 - August Moon (I think)
DSC_20110901_190432 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

4 - August Moon leaf - does this look like August Moon?
DSC_20110901_190438 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

Since this bank tends to be a little dry, I put in a soaker hose so that I can water it deeply when needed.

5 - saoker hose
DSC_20110901_191424 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

I won't bore you with all the pictures of little hosta plants, but, here's a link if somebody does want to see the whole set http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryshenk ... 573390748/.
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: My wife wanted a hosta garden

Post by ogrefcf »

Very nice! That's going to look really good when it fills in. No clue on the August Moon, not to good with the all green IDs.
Owen
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

That's going to make a wonderful hosta garden! :) :)
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jerry,

Your plant that you thought might be August Moon looks like Hosta plantaginea (maybe). Definitely isn't August Moon.

Hope your new hosta garden takes off for you. Not sure which varieties you have there, but after they get growing you might have to do some rearranging as they get more mature. But that's always part of the fun of gardening too :)

Have fun,

Chris
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

The August moon Looks the right colour but maybe not the right leaf shape Unless you removed some of the leaves and left the mid season leaves, Mine used to do that earlier leaves were more rounded mid season leaves were strangely shaped almost banana shaped at times. it was one of my first hosta and always a memorable one because of its colour and growth rate. To be honest I think it was the first truly named hosta I bought, Welcome to the world of hostas hahahahaha this is only the start you know !!!! I amguessing the AM I have now is AM but it was a dry root when I bought it as a box of 3. The only one I am certain of among them is Wide Brim I think the 3rd may be Earth Angel.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

on closer inspection go more with the Plantagenea post but it may come more true in another year see what colour it is when it emerges next year if its more green than yellow then deffo Plantagnea
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

The plantaginea is the one with the big, fragrent flowers in late summer isn't it? That's actually one that I had on my list that I thought would be good for there.

This had a stake that said Hosta Lily but I don't think there is even such a thing...at least I can't find one. I just found a reference to Plantaginea being called Old August Liliy.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

You're off to a good start, Jerry! When I looked at the pics, before I read any further, I thought that your unknown might be plantaginea.
I was glad to see that Chris offered that suggestion as well. You'll know for sure when it blooms, hopefully next summer. There's nothing else that has those
huge white blossoms.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Very nice flowers scented too doesnt do to well for me over here tho and mine was very prone to slugs that and Honeybells and Royal standard
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Welcome to the forum :D

The area will be lovely, looks like it is made for hostas.

I think at least one of you will fit in perfect here on the forum. You tell us you got 7 hostas... I can count 9 pots :-?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

Lookit, I'm not an accountant, ok!

Ha...actually, we planted 7 varieties in the "hosta garden" (which I know is not quite what I said;). Two in the "hosta garden" are June and a Golden Tiara is planted in a different garden to make a total of 9. The Golden Tiara just isn't in the "hosta garden"...only 4 hosta now and also has some pachasandra, a rhododendron, azalea, some impatiens and will probably generally have some other annuals.
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

You'd be considered a newbie at this point :D When you get to a 100 you'd be considered a freshman. 500 and then you might be considered a hosta gardener. 1000+ then you'd be considered a hosta freak. It's a good start for a single day though. Lets see where your at the end of next summer. PS I stopped counting a long long time ago.
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

There is somebody in the area who has 1000 varieties - I don't see how you'd even keep track of things. I visited somebody's garden who had 100 varieties and I thought that was pretty much crazy...I think I'll just stick to being a freshman;) We would like to get a couple different ones...but, only a couple. Our kids are already making jokes about hostas...they think we're going crazy!
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

And I quote: "We would like to get a couple different ones...but, only a couple. " All I can say to that is "HA!" You have begun the process toward becoming a certified "Hostaholic", and there is no turning back. (You are already saying things like "just a couple more", and that's the way it begins!) Welcome to the club -- do keep a photo record of how those babies look next spring as the season progresses. Phyllis
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

GrannyNanny wrote:And I quote: "We would like to get a couple different ones...but, only a couple. " All I can say to that is "HA!" You have begun the process toward becoming a certified "Hostaholic", and there is no turning back. (You are already saying things like "just a couple more", and that's the way it begins!) Welcome to the club -- do keep a photo record of how those babies look next spring as the season progresses. Phyllis
I thought exactly the same thing!

Good luck with the new hosta garden--looks great so far. And good luck avoiding hostaholism. ;)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

kaylyred wrote:
GrannyNanny wrote:And I quote: "We would like to get a couple different ones...but, only a couple. " All I can say to that is "HA!" You have begun the process toward becoming a certified "Hostaholic", and there is no turning back. (You are already saying things like "just a couple more", and that's the way it begins!) Welcome to the club -- do keep a photo record of how those babies look next spring as the season progresses. Phyllis
I thought exactly the same thing!

Good luck with the new hosta garden--looks great so far. And good luck avoiding hostaholism. ;)
It's impossible! I need to go out and count how many I got this year after three orders from Chris and
some from around here, I've gotten quite a few lol.
Owen
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

It starts just like this though. First you pick up a few the first year but the second you have some spaces that need filled. Third year your moving patios, decks, fences and such to make more room were theres shade (and don't say you haven't). Fourth year your planting more trees. Fifth year your using the once was sunny areas you had before where you planted the trees. The journey continues from there and over the years you have over a 1000 hostas. People will walk in your garden and ask how many hostas you have? your reply: a lot
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

scootersbear wrote:It starts just like this though. First you pick up a few the first year but the second you have some spaces that need filled. Third year your moving patios, decks, fences and such to make more room were theres shade (and don't say you haven't). Fourth year your planting more trees. Fifth year your using the once was sunny areas you had before where you planted the trees. The journey continues from there and over the years you have over a 1000 hostas. People will walk in your garden and ask how many hostas you have? your reply: a lot
It's all true, scootersbear, every bit of it. In my case, I was ready to start planning and planting my hosta gardens when I lost 2 large old trees to a windstorm, and then the 3 magnificent 115 year old American elm trees died, leaving me with no shade except for the very small ash in the back yard, which was where my (then) little grandchildren played, and in the spruce windbreak, which was then occupied by the sheep that my husband purchased to mow the acre across the drive from the house, because he didn't want to spend all that time mowing. Hosta purchases went on hold, while I planted and planted and planted trees and large shrubs. 18 years later, I have reclamied the acre across the drive, planted trees and shrubs EVERYWHERE, loaded up the ground under the spruce trees with seedlings and 'rescue' plants. The house yard is full to overflowing with hostas, and in the last couple of years they are filling up the borders across the drive where it used to be all sun. My husband will tell you that I have over three hundred hostas. If you click on the link to my hosta list at the bottom of the page you'll see that he's just a few years behind, but who is going to tell him? Not me. :lol: I have a lot. :wink:

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

When I joined this forum I was proud of my 16 hostas. Exept for the very old ones, hostas were new to my country and hard to find.

Now ... I have a lot :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Just counted mine today. I had about 5 varieties over the past 2-3 years. This year I added 45 new varieties and well over 50 new Hostas. Thanks for the enabling everyone lol :lol: .
Owen
New Topic Post Reply