What kind of Hostas are these?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
mamattorney
USDA Zone: 5

What kind of Hostas are these?

Post by mamattorney »

Hello again. A quick question for everyone. I've got a couple of different hostas growing in the yard. The two classic kind - all green with the skinny leaves and the one that's green and white - and then have these two.

Mystery Hosta #1:

and Mystery Hosta #2:

Here's a picture of this one from the side. It's got really long stems and it doesn't form a clump like the other hostas in the yard. Rather it seems to just space itself out.

Does anyone know what kind they are? I'm sure they are common - I see the tall one in a lot of yards in the area, but when I tried the hosta library, it seems searchable only by name and I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Thanks for any help you can give!
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: What kind of Hostas are these?

Post by ogrefcf »

First one kinda looks like Halcyon, the other plantaginea maybe?
Owen
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

I would say Halcyon and Royal Standard :P
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I'm with ogrefcf.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

The second looks more like plantaginea than Royal Standard. RS tends to be paler and wavier on the edges at the beginning of the season.
~Shawna
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Owen for the win.

I used to have a "dirty dozen" list that might have led you to 'Hyacinthina' instead of 'Halcyon', but I think 'Halcyon' has been sold broadly enough that it will show up in inherited/purchased gardens.

Both of these plants are winners, by the way. You should have bought them if you didn't have them already.

David
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

At first I thought Honeybells for the second one. But it is probably plantaginea. It will be easy to tell when the flowers show up you can't miss the 5 inch flowers.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

my guess is halcyon for fist one and Royal standard for second, although it may be plantagina the flowers will give it away as said before. What kind of price did you pay for them or were the bought as the box standard dyr root types. Dunno why I asked the price really as I am Britiain but if they were among the cheaper range then thats a bit of a clue meanng there older trusted varieties.
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I would guess Halcyon and Royal Standard as well.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

We are all agreed that the first one is Halcyon, but I have to go with plantaginea for the second.

Royal Standard is not so glossy, royal standard comes up more upright and pointed, has slight corrugation, will be darker green, and plantaginea arches like this with a more rounded leaf. The flowers will give it away in the summer.
mamattorney
USDA Zone: 5

Post by mamattorney »

Thanks everyone! I didn't buy these - they came with the house! So I have no idea what the original planting looked like or where it came from. I've always loved the halcyon - it's a very pretty color. They definitely both flower later in the summer, but I don't remember what the flowers look like. I'll have to pay close attention this summer.
New Topic Post Reply