Hosta Identity Crisis

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Hosta Identity Crisis

Post by irawon »

NOT!! When I bought this hosta (in front of Bressingham Blue) in 2007 it was labelled 'Royal Standard'. Another of my old hosta was recently identified as RS, so this hosta is not RS. The flowers of this hosta are tinged with lilac. RS's flowers are white. I've done a bit of research and think it might be 'Honeybells'. I would really appreciate those of you who grow 'Honeybells' confirming that it is 'Honeybells' because I want to move it to another spot in my yard. The spot may not be large enough for 'Honeybells'. The funny thing is that I watered this hosta a lot this summer thinking that the drooping leaves were a sign that it wasn't getting enough.
Attachments
P6100018.jpg
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta Identity Crisis

Post by Mark Raw »

It could be a Honeybells however from my experince with Hb it didn't get leaves as big as yours. Hb is very similar to RS as are a lot of the other Plantigina sports. I do like the look of your Bressingham Blue though, didn't realise they got to that size, I got a small one (on offer) this year and now must remember not to put it in same trough as Blue Angelwhich has not mixed itself with a large Sieboldiana. Anyway back to the RS/Hb I may be wrong but would be inclined to go with another Plantigina sport I didn't think Hb had lilac tinted flowers. Maybe have a check on the library. No doubt some one else will be along to correct me. :???:
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, it does look like Honeybells, and yes, the clumps can get that big :D
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Told ya they would. God himself :eek:
irawon

Post by irawon »

Thanks Chris. I'm moving Hb to a bigger spot .

Mark, thanks for replying. I moved Bressingham Blue, which was growing in front of Blue Angel. I was surprised that BB got as big as it did. As I had it planted in front of Blue Angel, the two were too much the same blue colour. As well I have 3 Krossa Regals in that part of the bed. The bed seemed sort of BLAH. I replaced BB with a second Regal Splendour, which was a good size. I may regret that in time. Can you believe this, when I first created this bed I planted hostas that had complimentary flower colours.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

markhostas.jpg.jpg
I didnt think BB got to a big size however as all my plants are in pots it doesnt really matter I can move them about at will. Sometimes not having an actual garden can work to an advantage.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

That's funny Chris, I looked at those leaves and did not think it was Honeybells.

Then I went back into my photos and discovered it looks different between May and September.
Attachments
Honeybells - May 5, 2012
Honeybells - May 5, 2012
Honeybells - May 5, 2012
Honeybells - May 5, 2012
Honeybells - May 5, 2012
Honeybells - May 5, 2012
Honeybells - September 6, 2012
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
irawon

Post by irawon »

Redcrx, thanks, for the pictures of your Honeybells. I'm convinced that the hosta I have is Honeybells. Your flower picture is identical to what I saw on my Hb. I meant to take a picture of the flowers, got busy and when I went back they had dried up.

I counted 8 vein pairs if you don't include the middle vein in each pair. BTW, what is the vein counting protocol for the middle vein? Do you leave it out or do you count it twice? It seems logical to me to leave it out.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Counting vein pairs: think of the center as zero. (remember it's vein pairs, and the center vein doesn't have a pair)

I'm glad your question got answered. I think Honeybells is an oldie that's more common in some parts of the country than others.
irawon

Post by irawon »

Tigger, thanks for affirming the assumption to my question and very aptly put that the central vein is counted as zero.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Chris had mentioned that my pictures of Honeybells shows my plant to be virused. I'm going to post shots in the virus forum.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply