We did okay

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

We did okay

Post by boops »

We fared very well thru this horrendous storm, we did not loose power, no damage to my house, one tree uprooted way in back of my yard, some fence damage and a truckload of large branches and tons of leaves. Some neighbors lost parts of their roofs, one major sized curb tree ripped right out of the ground (photo). :eek:

Thanks to those who wished us well before the storm.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: We did okay

Post by Tigger »

No damage here, either. A benefit to being surrounded by trees is the wind break effect, as long as they don't topple. We got about 4.5" rain overall.

Footage from NJ and NYC is stunning, though. One storm brought devastating waves, winds, flooding, snow! And fires!

David
boops

Post by boops »

Great to hear Tigger-Are you getting snow?
Yes NYC and the surrounding boroughs and counties were really slammed hard. I feel very grateful and thank the one above for watching over us.
My Hosta List

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I'm so glad that you survived the storm so well! Amazing that street tree didn't land on any cars :o

That this made landfall as a hurricane in NY/NJ as a hurricane in October is just unbelievable.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Certainly glad that you came through it with no major damage. And also that the tree didn't hit anyone or anything of importance.

I'm really struck by how much your street looks like mine. Will have to stand down the street and take a picture for comparison someday.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks to all of you-that tree did hit a mercedes benz across the street and crushed its hood. This was such a freak storm it surprised us all. Last year we had Hurricane Irene about this time of year. I hope its not a habit.
At least 10 people have died from the storm.
Ann-thats so funny that your area looks like mine because I have noticed that most people on this forum have massive open properties and not development homes. You must post a photo or two when u get a chance.
My Hosta List

Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

Riveted to the weather channel this morning. How sad to hear of all the lives lost and see the damage. Glad to hear you are ok boops. Hope others will check in as they can. Many prayers for those affected by Sandy.
boops

Post by boops »

Ditto Carol-horrible storm-worse than a hurricane.
combo of Tropical storm winds, hurricane winds, noreaster, a cold front and a full moon.
My Hosta List

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Good to hear you are okay

But look at those roots or rather lack of roots... time to cut down all the trees in the street.

Some trees like oak can live for centuries others are passed their limit at the age of 40 years

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks Thy, that part of my neighborhood is newer than mine, was about 30 years old. My house and surrounding houses were built in 1971. My curb trees are Sycamores (which I hate because all the bark peels off all year round) the fallen tree is not a Sycamore, but I don't know what kind it was. The fallen tree snapped, rest of roots still in the ground, with the electric cable wrapped around it :eek: Luckily it snapped and didn't all come out, thank goodness because then I wouldn't have electric.
My Hosta List

Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It's so terrible to watch the coverage of the destruction. So many lost so much so quickly, and recovery will be long and difficult. I'm glad to hear that you escaped without much damage, boops and Tigger.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks Linda, watching the horror made me cry :( . Sometimes Mother Nature is so cruel, wiping out so many homes, sentimental things you can never get back, beautiful beaches and most importantly so many people. So sad.
Now chapter 2 is people actually having fist fights in Gas Station parking lots waiting to get gas before it runs out. Big gas shortgage here, mile long lines the likes of which I haven't seen since the 70's and thats the gas stations that have power, most don't have power so they are closed. Everyone is on edge here, over a million long islanders with no power, no heat and now no gas, and its starting to get pretty cold at night too. Hope this is the last of this type of Storm we ever get and I will never move to a home near the water.
My Hosta List

viktoria

Post by viktoria »

We were on the fringe of the storm and, despite dire forecasts, had <1" of rain and no wind damage. Watching the news, what amazes me is that, despite plenty of warning, many people were simply in denial and unprepared. In a worst case scenario, we had three generators and fuel to run them for days, plenty of food in the house, a dug well with a hand pump in the yard, full gas tanks in all vehicles, and refilled prescriptions.

I do feel for all the people who lost their homes and all they owned.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
boops

Post by boops »

I know what you mean Viktoria-we were prepared also other than a generator, which we are going to purchase before winter arrives. However if people are going to work everyday, a full tank of gas isn't going to last long and as the tank goes down you have to refill it and thats where the problem lies, dealing with the lines because of the people that didn't plan ahead. There are also many more cars on the road because the trains, subways etc. were not running yet because of flooding, hence more gas needed. I have 3 cars with full tanks. Lending my daughter one so she can get to work.
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply