ID help, please

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

ID help, please

Post by Schattenfreude »

Hey folks,

These plants were labeled Dream Queen, but after a couple years they don't seem to resemble the Dream Queens pictured in the Hosta Library. Does anyone recognize these two hostas?
20110523_999_49b.jpg
Kevin in KC
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Re: ID help, please

Post by paul_in_mn »

Maybe Paul's Glory or in the Gold Standard family.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Kevin,

Does the center color on these ever turn lighter colored, tending to creamy yellow? Their rounded form reminds me a little more like something from Elegans, like maybe Great Expectations, but that center would have to go a lot lighter.

Sorry I couldn't be more definitive.

Chris
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Do you have anything to give them scale? And do you have any pictures or information about when they flower, the colour of the flower, etc.?
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Chris,

I do believe that they lighten up during the summer, but since they're not in full sun, they don't get that bleached out look. I"d be so glad if they were Great Expectations!!

Ann, thus far they've only gotten ca. 12" tall, at most. I'd say the largest leaf has the size of a softball. I think the flowers were white.

I plan on moving them this spring and amending the soil even more than I have in the past. If they're indeed Great Expectations, I ought to give them a few hours of direct sunlight, shouldn't I ?

Being on spring break this week, I ventured into a local nursery and walked out with Designer Genes......... and 3 japanese maples with buds just starting to swell a tad. Lord help me!!

Kevin in KC
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

'Dream Queen' is a sport/variant of 'Great Expectations', so it could just be some variability from TC. Given the similarity to similar sports/variants of 'Elegans' heritage (Dream Weaver, Thunderbolt), I'd still call it 'Dream Queen' by virtue of its sale tag. Since it's newer, you might also say it's more "choice" than the finicky Gr8 Ex.

David
New Topic Post Reply