Couple Hosta questions.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Couple Hosta questions.

Post by ogrefcf »

First, in one of my beds the dirt seems pretty compacted. Should I just till it all by hand to try to lighten it or do I need to amend the soil? Here's a picture of the ground. I was watering so it doesn't look to bad, but it's pretty solid.

The other I had some Hosta come up with stunted leaves and a flower stalk. Is this weather related or just something weird? Thanks!

Owen
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Couple Hosta questions.

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'd be inclined to add some compost and some mulch to the soil.

As far as the other hosta, I've not seen a flower stalk so early, but then your hostas a way ahead of mine which are mostly just pips. As far as the leaves - did it get frozen?
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I was thinking about the same. If you only have that one or a few other hostas in that spot I would lift just the hosta and amend that planting hole but then just topdress the rest of the bed with a layer of compost and then mulch it. In time it will improve on its own and then you can amend and turn it in as you plant.

Last year's long season may have confused these hostas as to when to flower, or they tried to come up really early and the flowering schedule is off. But when they do this, new eyes will form and they'll adjust in later years just fine. I assume that is some frost/freeze damage on the leaves.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I amended the area where I planted the hostas it's mostly just around it. I have about 10 or so in the area, but if it's better to lift them and amend it all I will. Yes the leaves are just frost damage. My concern more was the smaller leaves and shape, but it may have just been damaged coming up. The first plant with damage is a Komodo Dragon and was much bigger last year.
Owen
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Owen, I agree that clay soil needs help. It would be a flower spike, we are seeing them really early this year on some of ours. :eek:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

I amend it quite a bit when I made the bed, just not enough I guess. I'll go grab some more compost.
Owen
kHT

Post by kHT »

Owen, when we first moved in we added lots of sand to break up the clay. Have you thought about adding some with the compost?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

kHT wrote:Owen, when we first moved in we added lots of sand to break up the clay. Have you thought about adding some with the compost?
No I haven't. Thanks for the idea! I am going to try it.
Owen
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

I thought clay + sand = concrete. I'd stick with LOTS of compost and maybe some pine bark fines and perlite.... and a bunch of worms!

Kevin in KC
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've got clay too. ADD the sand!
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Sand is chicken grit, not fine sand ( beach sand or playarea for todlers sand- it make concrete) Add some woodclippings or similar to the mix.
The problem with compost is it disapear with in a few years, making the soil better, but even I tried to plant lower, I have hostas way to exposed this year... so I will add more compost :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT

Post by kHT »

Owen, I looked up what we did some ten years ago and beside sand we tilled in peat and straw that we had use for a couple
years to keep the one side of the greenhouse warm. We did the whole back yard and this was in the fall, when we covered it
with black plastic for the whole winter. Once planted then we mulched, which we have done a couple times since creating the
the new bed.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply