Hosta Hyacinthina sport

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Hosta Hyacinthina sport

Post by sweetee »

Hyacinthina sport with parent
Hyacinthina sport with parent
Hyacinthina sport 2012
Hyacinthina sport 2012
Hyacinthina sport 2013
Hyacinthina sport 2013
Hi,
I had a sport of hyacinthina last year. Picture 1 shows it with it's parent. Picture 2 is when I divided it last year. Picture 3 is what it is turning into. As my hosta are emerging after their winter nap, I hadn't found this one yet. Finally, I found the pot with the ID label for hosta hyacinthina sport, and it looks nothing like the original. Can a hosta change form in a year like this? I could say that maybe I mixed up the labels, but haven't found it in another pot yet (not everything has sprouted here in Ohio). Another reason I doubt this is because the label was buried in the pot, not sticking out. Thanks
:D
viktoria

Re: Hosta Hyacinthina sport

Post by viktoria »

'Hyacinthina' is prone to sporting. The development of a streaky-looking sport into an edged one is typical. While this one may not be genetically identical to 'Gold Standard', it sure looks like it is going to look a lot like it.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Sure looks like Gold Standard.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by sweetee »

Yes, in looking at it that was what I assumed, gold standard. It does have a brighter color and a wider margin than my gold standard in the ground, but with the variables involved, still could be G.S. Thanks!
New Topic Post Reply