Hosta Andromeda update

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
digs57

Hosta Andromeda update

Post by digs57 »

Hosta Andromeda 2013
Hosta Andromeda 2013
Andromeda 2013-S.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 517 times
This is my unique 2008 seedling of Spilt Milk. It's a small hosta with very thick, tough leaves, as yet unregistered.
I showed it here in 2010:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53627&p=466976&hili ... da#p466976
You can see its leaves have widened as it has matured.

Like its mama, Andromeda is a slow grower and doesn't like to be dessicated. In 2011, a very hot summer at home, I was overseas the entire growing season, and my garden had to fend for itself :( Consequently little Andromeda lost one eye that summer. Still, it continues to sit in its original location and is thriving. Next year I'll likely split it and place an eye in a shadier bed on the N side of my house.

I'm overseas again this year, and hope it'll survive this summer's neglect! Thanks to my photographer hubby, I enjoy my garden vicariously from the other side of the globe! :D
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
viktoria

Re: Hosta Andromeda update

Post by viktoria »

It looks a lot like 'Pistache', but that one is a sport of SM.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

That's nice. Any idea what the other parentage is? I've tried seeds from 'Spilt MIlk', but so far, just greenies. BTW, on first glance, that reminded me of 'Korean Snow'. Can you compare the too?
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Very nice Digs, I like the name too! I was lucky to get a Spilt Milk seedling also with this streaking two years ago. I'm hoping papa was Blue Mouse Ears, I did some dabbing but didn't record it. I'll hopefully have a better idea when it flowers. Good luck with Andromeda and congrats!
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
New Topic Post Reply