Hallson Gardens Summer Get Together Date???

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Which Saturday works best for you?

Poll ended at Apr 26, 2012 12:12 pm

July 14th
6%
July 21st
6%
July 28th
33%
August 4th
56%

Total votes: 18

plantbug

Re: Hallson Gardens Summer Get Together Date???

Post by plantbug »

Please be sure to take lots of pictures to share with us peeps that can't make the trip. I checked the mileage, and it would be a -10- hour(one way) trip for me!!! But, I wanna come!!! plantbug :(
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

No problem, I'm sure we'll get pictures to share :)

Remember everyone, it is only a little over one week away, Saturday, August 4th! It sounds like we'll have a nice turnout :D

For the past several years we've painted hosta leaves as a fun group project, and this year we will have a new project for people to make - fairy house gourds! We have gourds and lots of materials, you just bring your imagination. We are making some tonight and I'll send some pictures as soon as they are dry enough to move. I experimented with some materials and some don't dry as quickly as others so we'll be able to give you tips. If you want to bring some items to decorate your houses, like bark, acorns, twigs, feathers, etc., you can bring it with you too. Porous materials seem to take glue easier, but I also used some shells and rocks and they are sticking after a very long drying time, but look neat.

And if you are still wanting to paint hosta leaves, since it has been such a long standing tradition, you can still do that too :)

I'll post more details about the day soon. We are really getting excited (can you tell)!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Take lots of photos to share with us all, please!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Here is the 1st fairy house we did. The glue will dry clear, but it is an outdoor glue that seems to be taking a long time to dry. We are going to get some outdoor hot glue I think, for the heavier items.
1st-fairy-house.jpg
Here is the 2nd fairy house we did.
2nd-fairy-house.jpg
Is this something that you guys will want to do that day, or do you want to paint hosta leaves instead? Let me know what you think :)

Chris
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Those gourds are very cute Chris! I am looking forward to trying them!
Can't wait to see everyone again. One week from tomorrow..Woo Hoo!!! :beer:

Lynn
New Topic Post Reply