How many hostas do you have? DBoweMD

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

My Corkscrew I just got a few weeks ago has put up 5 scapes! The weather guessers are calling for a warm October, so I hope I at least can get some pollen off it. I wonder if I brought it in the greenhouse to breed if I could gradually take it into dormancy? I'd hate to risk it, I think, unless anyone has some good ideas how...

Molly, BTW, I counted pods on my Korean Snow, thinking it might be close to your 41...it was 79! Not comparing against yours, but like you, I am new at this and all those pods is really exciting! I hope you didn't lose many in the wind. We are having a storm today, so I think I will put it in a more sheltered place...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

At the moment, the scapes are so short, there is almost nothing to cut. I'm watching it.
Becky in TN

Post by Becky in TN »

I have around 450 different cultivars and about 700 hostas total. With the extreme dry weather we have had this year it will be interesting to see how many might not come back next spring. This year I added less then 10 hostas. I bought one and got the others in trade/secret trades.

We have 1.8 acres but I have a 2 beds that are being greatly infringed on by tree roots. I moved about 30 hostas this spring and still have about 50 that need to be moved.
It just got to dry to move and make new neds. Next year is another year.

Becky in TN
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Red October

Post by jobranch »

MollyD: I have Red October too, first year to have this one and I thought the blooms were interesting. I am hoping that this one fills out a little better next year-am sure it will.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

How many :o

Way to many

Space say 150 mixed with minnis and smalls.
And my papers say 250 +....
I tried to sell some great ones, who just didn't talk to me... I can easily selll them as one eyed... but it breaks my heart

Sometimes I just want to share with you

Darn borders :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Wanda, I don't know what your goals are, but at 7 years in you certainly aren't "lagging."

We've been focusing, gently, on hostas for 15 years, and have maybe 140 cultivars, and probably not 200 clumps. Plenty.
New Topic Post Reply