2007 Streaks

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
malaprop

2007 Streaks

Post by malaprop »

Planted in the last 2 wks in October, and greenies culled, here is my full tray of streaks. There's all about at the 4-5 leaf stage.

The yellow one front and center broke my heart when the last two leaves unfurled pure yellow.

My aim this year was to just go for streaks and two Golden Gate crosses I did, and only had one layer of lights going, and the germinating in sushi trays lined with papertowelling made it a walk in the park.

So far I've taken 3 trips, one 12 days, and they survived nicely.

malaprop
Attachments
streaks 2007xx.jpg
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

looks like a good crop. I am envious.... If I culled all my greenies I'd have nothing left but a couple lethal whites. :roll: not my strongest year for seedlings.... just started my 2nd flat so I've got my fingers crossed.
Mike
Milwaukee
barbara

Post by barbara »

Looking good Mal! I hope I have something to keep once mine are ready for the first culling this year...last year was awfull...tough germinating them, and then ugly babies. :(
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Looking good Mal

Do you still bring your babies with you when you do trips :-?

Go on Mike.. one year I planted 90 % of my streaked seads, not a streaker at all... next year i planted the left over seeds.. most of them were streaked :wink:

Good luck with the next tray
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Wow Mal you got some great looking lil streaky ones there! :P What varieties did you sow?
I'm way behind this year, and only got some seeds sown yesterday. Even with that I didn't sow anywhere near the amount I normally do, so we'll see what comes of it. Gardening in Colorado here is going to be a challenge, I just hope I can keep the babies alive once planted out.
Keep us posted on the babies Mal.
I do have the itch though and placed my first spring hosta order with Hallsons the other day....I'm starting all over again, but life is good! :D
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Hi, all.

Thy, for two Thanksgivings I hauled 3 large trays that were in the germinating stage--to keep them misted to my motel room. I'll stick to the suishi trays with a folded papertowel and lid, from now on, and with the disposable church cake pans with cover, I could probably be gone 3 weeks and have no losses, or need to babysit them.

Some of them are mighty small, and I'd be surprised if they make it--my climate with it's hot summers is hard on small hostas. And streaks are not the hardiest, are they? I have one 1-year-old streak that was gorgeous--and I'ad planned on building a faimily around it, but the tag is lost so now I don't know where it is---I'll just have to wait to see if it lived.

Rachel, you moved to Colorado? If I were to start over, and I may have to do that, the first I'd get would be the slowgrowers--Toks, other wrinkled ones that take 3-5 years to get good looking. I would think Colorado would have a nice dormancy to get fat eyes, but how about the summers?

Mike you usually end up with some nice ones---we shall see.
Feel sorry for the people getting clobbered by this cold, windy storms....

mal
druff

Post by druff »

mal
i would've been disappointed about that yellow one too. yellow and white streakers are my favorite.

who was the mother plant on that one?

doug
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Some great lookin' babies ...enjoy!
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Very nice babies, keep us posted on their teen years.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Mal,
Cool seedlings! Why the difference in size? Is it because they're all from different batches of seeds? Do you know who the pod parent is or the other parent?
I still haven't ever started any seeds. Every year I mean to, but, you know. Compost happens.
wzbt03

One of yours

Post by wzbt03 »

I believe this is one of your seedlings malaprop or at least from the mixed streak pack of seeds you sent with some earlier seeds in late 2006.
I really like the way it has turned out.
Attachments
Oregon Streak Mix.jpg
Oregon Streak Mix.jpg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

those look great
hostavalley

Post by hostavalley »

very nice streaky seedlings you have there........

BTW do you have a picture of your instalation where have your seedlings at home...???
Jeroen Linneman.
I have a website about Hostas.
http://www.hostavalley.eu
malaprop

Re: One of yours

Post by malaprop »

wzbt03 wrote:I believe this is one of your seedlings malaprop or at least from the mixed streak pack of seeds you sent with some earlier seeds in late 2006.
I really like the way it has turned out.
That looks nice---coming along. These ones that show promise plus vigor is what I like to single out for breeding.

I've got one out of Olga P.'s Golden Gate, that I'm fairly certain is going to be a blue monster--I love it. It's already in a 1-gal. and it acts like it owns the place :-)
New Topic Post Reply