Pic of the Day--Lakeside Shore Master

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Lakeside Shore Master

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's variety, Lakeside Shore Master might end up being on my short list of favorites. As one of the Friendship Garden plants, it was already an eye catching beauty in its first year. This offering by master hybridizer, Mary Chastain, is described by her as starting out the season with blue leaves that change as the season goes on. A quick growing variety, our plant's size of 18x11 should reach a mature size of 26x12 in just a few years.
Attachments
lakeside shoremaster 8-15-06c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Hank,
I got mine about 3 years ago and it's been growing great. It's either going to have to be moved or I'll need to move a few others. Mine here is in full shade and the leafs have the same appearance for me all year..

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yours is gorgeous, Jamie!! :cool:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Since I am very computer challenged and have not yet figured how to resize photos, please check my LS Shoremaster, at the Hosta Library.

I really feel that some day it could be a hosta named for "Hosta of the Year"

http://www.hostalibrary.org
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

Great picture Trudy

Does anyone know if there is there a big difference between this one and LS beach captain??

I have wanted this one for awhile and never got one but i picked up LSBC last year so i was thinking about skipping LSSM
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Great pic Jamie :D

I love mine, got it from Chris 3 years ago :wink:

But... it is very lovely at the place it have, but looking at jamies it might not be as pleased as I

Maybe it do not like to be cramed in between grass, a tree peony, other hostas and with a lot of spring and summer bulbs
Attachments
L.ShoreMaster080606.jpg
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

You didn't do that to that hosta, did you Pia??? :o :eek: OMG, if that isn't crowded, I don't know what is.... :o .. :lol: ...I am still in shock!! :P .. :wink:

Jamie, that is beautiful!!

I got mine from Chris also.....I can not wait to see it.... :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I got mine in the summer of 05 as a small one-eye plant, and here it is in 06. It's such a strong grower, and lovely all year. Mine gets a couple hours of mid-day sun, and it does change through the year.
LG... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda P
Attachments
I love this combo...but I think I'll need to move someone soon.  LSM and Liberty were second year plants in this pic.
I love this combo...but I think I'll need to move someone soon. LSM and Liberty were second year plants in this pic.
Lakeside Shoremaster July 4 06.JPG
Lakeside Shoremaster July 4 06.JPG (48.56 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Thanks Renaldo, LucyGoose and Thy..

Sorry for misleading people but I was thinking of Lakeside Metermaid when I said the plant doesn't change :oops: :x :roll: .. Lakeside Shore Master does change quit a bit through the year. Here's the pictures again and the first one posted was right after emerging and the second is from late in the year.

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:o sure didn't... they were all smaller when I planted them :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Hi all! The pictures are awesome! An other hosta to put on my list :wink:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Great pictures everyone...glad I got this one last year. Can't wait to see it this year.

:lol: Lucygoose....just can't take 'em being crowded.
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Linda, I'm so happy to hear how well yours did in just one year. My garden is young and so are most of my plants. I haven't lived in a house with a yard since I was a kid in my mom's house so now I'm in heaven. I have been biting my nails wondering if my gardens will continue to look sparse in 2007. :-? I hope my LSM is in a spot that is getting enough sun & the right amount of shade to flourish. It's in a pretty dark section of the yard.

Beautiful Liberty too!

Well.. everyone's photos are gorgeous! It's the reason I read every single one of Hank's posts because of his great plants and everyone else's follow up posts. (Thanks Hank!) Maybe in a year or two mine will be as wonderful. :D
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
jimrex

Post by jimrex »

Greenguy-on your question as to any differance on LSSM and LBCaptain the LBC is a sport with a much narrower gold center. Both plants get good size and great color
Jim
New Topic Post Reply