Wall to Wall - Zig~Zag

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
renaldo75

Wall to Wall - Zig~Zag

Post by renaldo75 »

The weather was like spring today for the 3rd day. Lots of sunshine & lots of snow melting. And my camera decided to cooperate & work today. :P

This is the north wall I didn't have pictures of when I showed the pics earlier of this bed.
Attachments
Looking to the west
Looking to the west
Should I Zig or should I Zag??
Should I Zig or should I Zag??
Looking to the east toward the house
Looking to the east toward the house
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

A couple more pics from the north side.
Attachments
looking to the southeast
looking to the southeast
I've decided that I'm going to change this little zig - the wall at the left will extend to the west a couple more blocks & join the wall on the right that I'll extend north. Giving a few more feet for hostas. ;O)
I've decided that I'm going to change this little zig - the wall at the left will extend to the west a couple more blocks & join the wall on the right that I'll extend north. Giving a few more feet for hostas. ;O)
2007 - 2-20-07 W2A & W2C-3b.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Whew...I'm glad I decided against that glass of wine before I got online. I have a few balance issues anyway...all that zigging and zagging might cause a bit of vertigo if combined with alchohol. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously..what a LOT of work! It's nice to see it unadorned, but I can't wait to see the spring pics once the hostas start coming up. Looks like you'll be able to start unloading those holding beds!
(and yes, I saw those rebar and chickenwire arbors!!!!)
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Linda - are you saying that you're already a bit tipsy even without the glass of wine?? :-? :wink:

Actually the bed with all the zigging & zagging going on is already a holding bed. :roll: Do you see my dilemma now?? :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My goodness...so much work!! But it looks fantastic, Ren.
I don't remember....are you capping the top off on the blocks or are you planning on planting something in each of the holes?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Joan. :P I eventually plan to cap some off with the plain gray rectangular paving stones. [One of those is the same size as a block.] But as you can see it's gonna take more than just a couple to do the job..... :o I am also going to plant some with 'Acre' sedum since it will grow just about anywhere & I have lots of it to spare. And I think some different thymes would look cool too & maybe even some bacopa eventually. I love it but it's still a little bit too pricey to be replacing every year. [I had never thought about overwintering bacopa before until I saw Hank's post on here or Hostapix saying that's what he did.] But before I cap or plant in them I will be pounding a couple pieces of rebar down thru the openings to make sure that the soil doesn't push the walls out after a couple of years. That's what happened in a couple of places with the block wall I built 6-8 years ago. Looks kinda cool - gardening amongst the ruins & all, but unfortunately the blocks fall down into the walkway under the arch between the 2 gardens.....and we can't have that. :roll:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm sure however you decide to "finish it up" is going to look great. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Wow!!! You've really put a lot of work into this project. It looks great! :cool: Love the zig-zag. 8-) I can't wait to see it when all of the hostas and plants are up. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Pat - I can't wait either!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Yep, that's what I'm sayin'! It's kind of embarassing to be weaving around like a drunken sailor when the last drink I had was weeks ago. But such is my lot.
I've just finished looking at your latest batch of wall-to-wall
pics, and I can't wait to see the finished beds! I had one thought...are you mowing the grassy pathways between the beds? Looks like you'll be zigging and zagging with the mower, too.
I'd have given anything to watch you filling and tamping those new areas. :wink: It makes me tired to think of how much work that was.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yep - I'll be mowing the grassy pathways & there will be some zigging & zagging going on, but after years of mowing all of the steep places in this yard, I won't mind a bit. You needed to have some mountain goat genes if you wanted to remain standing upright... :roll: My version of the hit stage show 'Stomp' wasn't nearly as exciting or as noisy, Linda. :wink: Just an overweight, middle-aged guy walking around in 'squares' that got smaller each time around until he was left standing in the middle - and then starting the routine over again..... :???: But I'm still kinda glad that the big lilac shielded me from view from most of the world that was passing by me. And that the guy who bought the house to the west hadn't started moving in yet. :wink: :lol: :lol:

This spring/summer will be a challenge to get a lot done. :o For sure!! I have a feeling that a lot of hostas will be going into holding pots before they find permanent homes though. I'll have to move out the occupants of a holding bed. Then move some of those hostas & others back in. In most of the new beds, I'll have to add more soil & hopefully lots of compost if I can get a couple of truckloads from Oma-Gro this spring. The last walled garden [#5] I showed will be the most difficult. It will require more walls, hosta & perennial removal, and soil/compost added before I can begin planting. Most of the other beds that are new or expanded will just need to have more soil/compost before I can plant.

I took measurements of the new beds late last fall so I would have the dimensions & be able to plan over the winter what hostas I wanted where. And I'll be darned if those dimensions aren't still just laying there on a piece of paper. :oops: I guess if I get at it I still have time to turn them into maps. It really would be a good idea if I had a plan going in rather than staring at the ground visualizing most of the spring. :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Looking good Reldon :wink: :D :cool: .. But that first picture keeps messing with my eyes. Look how the shadow is cast and it looks like a optical illusion. For some reason I see a trench in front of the wall in the first pic :lol: :lol:
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Shadows

Post by thehostagourmet »

Jamie, that's really a moat to deer-proof the beds. A couple dozen Piranha will be in the moat. Have you ever see pictures of what they can do to full grown cattle?

George
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Jamie - George is right. My Komodo Dragon the deer keep chomping on every spring is inside one of these walls. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply