Wall to Wall #5

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
renaldo75

Wall to Wall #5

Post by renaldo75 »

This is the last wall I built before the winter. It is around an existing bed which was expanded approximately a foot on the north & south sides, and about 2 feet to the west. There is a bed on the east end of this one which has limestone walls & it was widened to the north & south to align with the walls of this bed afterward.

In building these walls, I re-discovered something that I've always known: It's hard for me to keep to the 'straight & narrow' - whether that is the proverbial path or a long row of concrete blocks..... :???: 'Slightly askew & narrow' would be more accurate in this case. :wink: I'd be going along building my wall & think I was right in line with where I wanted it to be, but.....then I'd take a look from the east looking west & see that I'd gone off course. Happened more than once on all 3 sides with this one. :roll: LOL But it's done & I'm pleased with the results.
Attachments
this gap on the west side will eventually be a step up to a pathway thru the garden
this gap on the west side will eventually be a step up to a pathway thru the garden
2007 - 2-20-07 SW1-4b.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
north wall looking east
north wall looking east
west end looking to the SE
west end looking to the SE
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

A few more looks at this last set of walls.
Attachments
this shows most of the bed & walls
this shows most of the bed & walls
due to the elevation of the yard there is a higher level for the blocks at the east end of the bed - this spring I plan to put a row of blocks across the west end of the upper level creating 2 levels in the bed
due to the elevation of the yard there is a higher level for the blocks at the east end of the bed - this spring I plan to put a row of blocks across the west end of the upper level creating 2 levels in the bed
south wall looking east
south wall looking east
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

A few more. :P
Attachments
looking east from the west side of the bed from #4
looking east from the west side of the bed from #4
looking west from the north side of the bed - just after I took this pic I stepped off the wall, slipped on the snow & landed on my a$$ - I hit so hard that I thought I broke my left wrist when my arm hit the ground...
looking west from the north side of the bed - just after I took this pic I stepped off the wall, slipped on the snow & landed on my a$$ - I hit so hard that I thought I broke my left wrist when my arm hit the ground...
taken from the seating area & looking SE
taken from the seating area & looking SE
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

The 1st pic is looking NE toward the house.
Attachments
this shows the south limestone wall after it was widened to align with the bed to the west - there will eventually be a short walkway thru the bed to the north side starting at the 'low spot' in the wall
this shows the south limestone wall after it was widened to align with the bed to the west - there will eventually be a short walkway thru the bed to the north side starting at the 'low spot' in the wall
this bed is on the west side of the 2nd set of steps I put in last fall - this looks from the west end of the bed to the east
this bed is on the west side of the 2nd set of steps I put in last fall - this looks from the west end of the bed to the east
2007 - 2-20-07 W3D & SW1-5b.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

All those pictures are making me tired :lol: I can't wait until you post the ones this spring. Good job, Did you plan this all out on paper or just work from your head? I always have a hard time picturing the beds completed and it seems once you start planting they could be twice the size you made them. :???:
Cheryl
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Gave me a better idea of the overall garden

LOOKING GOOD, BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE LEFT OVER SLOPES ?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Cheryl - I had to laugh - cuz nothing is ever planned out on paper. I kind of visualize in my mind & then when it actually starts happening it changes - usually for the better - but often due to little things that my mind wasn't able to visualize until I was actually doing it. :wink:

Pia - you lost me.....'left over slopes'?? :hmm:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I am glad you are laughing--I even tried to do a landscape program on the computer but gave up. I am a digger and mover myself. I just fire up the tiller and kill more lawn :o then wonder how I will fill in all that dirt and once I make a couple of trips to the garden centers :oops: then get home and wonder where I am going to put everything. I enjoy looking at pictures of everyone's great plantings with contrasting plant colors--sizes that are "right" but I am just a dig and plop kind a girl :???:
Then I sit with a frosty beverage and wonder what I was thinking when I put things in place. :eek: I am going to try to not dig too much up this year and just move a couple around so they can grow up a little. Maybe I should do the beverage thing first and then go get the shovel??????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheryl
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Have another beverage after the 1st & let the shovel lean against the shed. :wink:

For the next couple of years after I planted my 1st hosta bed under the crab apple tree, I looked at the combinations I came up with & wondered just what the he(( I was thinking. :o :hmm: My excuse - and I'm sticking to it - is that I bought way too many hostas in 2002 [the 1st year of addiction] & just needed to get them in the ground before winter. At the time I thought I was doing a nice design - and in some places it doesn't look too bad so I've kept it that way. But as for the rest.......apparently I wanted them grouped together by both appearance & size for future reference so I could easily decide which of the edge variegated hostas I wanted to move elsewhere, etc. Planting the minis together made sense, but what else would have explained planting Abba Dabba Do, Sagae, & Sum and Substance in a triangle with less than 3 feet separating them in any direction?? :o :eek:

There were already hostas on the move by early that next spring - after I'd realized some of my most grievous errors. And over the winter I'd had a chance to read The Hosta Handbook. But I did some of the same sort of mistakes that year in a new bed with lance-shaped leaves. :roll: Spritzer, Elvis Lives, & Permanent Wave all ended up too close together. But for the most part, I did a better job contrasting color & texture & size. I thought.

Last year after having 2 more years to look at the 2003 beds, I began to better know what I wanted and did a couple of major overhauls. But there was a lot of staring at a spot on the ground visualizing what an area would look like if I took out that plant & maybe that one & left that one, but..... :roll: You get the idea. It took a lot of intense visualization staring trancelike at the ground. My neighbors probly thought my battery had run down & needed to be recharged... :wink: And they were right. My body was OK - but there was serious overload and brain~drain.

There will be lots more overhauls this year. And I'll get to see if I can apply the lessons I think I've learned to the new & expanded beds I've created with my walls. I'll let ya know how I did in a couple of years. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

You would die laughing if you knew all the hours I spend paging through Hosta Books and plotting! :oops: It's all good right???? Then I see some of the pictures on this and the other web site and wonder how the heck they knew what to plant where. I think I will do better this year. cause you guys are my inspiration :beer: and the more I look at all of your gardens the more I think I can :idea:
and if you knew that I ordered almost 50 you new hostas :eek: coming in may then you would know that I better come up with some sort of ideas in the next couple months right :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well I know you'll need at least 50 pots to start with. :wink:

And what in the world would make you think that I or anybody on here would laugh at how many hours you spend looking up hostas & plotting. :-? What else is there to do anyway??

One thing I know for sure - you're gonna need at least 50 pots to start with. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply