Pic of the Day--Garden Tour 15

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Garden Tour 15

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--These pix are from 2005 of the same area behind our home that I have shown for the last couple of days. We started to plant hostas and a few other perennials in among the ground covers in 2002 and have been adding a few more each year. The plan is to eventually have a canopy of hostas covering this area unless soil erosion starts to happen. In that case, we will give the ground covers more free reign.
Attachments
Back bank north 71505c.jpg
Back bank south 71505c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hank, I love looking at your photos. The way the trees are reminds me of our place - just looking at the possibilities. Question....or two...is the chartreuse colored ground cover in the South photo the Irish Moss you talked about in another post? What is the vine hanging down? What is under it - a retaining wall? I have a lot of slopes at my place but there is a lot of rock under - do you have rock? And last but not least - do you guys where high-heels to work in your beds? Or have your ankles just grown on a 45 deg. since you have lived there? ha, ha It makes me tired just looking at the pictures - love the pics.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Kansas?

Post by thehostagourmet »

Charla, I thought Kansas was as flat as a pancake. :lol:

George
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

George, you're not the only one that thinks that! Actually most of Kansas is flat, but I am on the very Eastern side that is kind of Ozarky or Arkansasish. I finally got another photo to attach today. I will try another. I've got the bug now. Y'all are a bad influence...ha, ha.
Charla
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh my! That first pic is my favorite, so far. I love the look of the ground cover around the hostas and then the darker ivy cascading down. Simply gorgeous! :cool: :D It is ivy, isn't it? :-?
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Repeting my self .. i know but it is so beautiful, so very beautiful :D
Love the way the groundcover get lattitude... or say attitude to the hostas :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Charla--That ground cover is Sedum 'Acre'. It does well in a few hours of sun but can be invasive. We used to use it in several spots but now just use it in that area where it is confined by the walls and then by the shadier areas that surround that area. The plant that covers the retaining walls is Boston Ivy. It looks like it hangs down but in fact it is growing up from below. We do have a lot of limestone rocks in our soil. This area was a sea, eons ago.

It is difficult to do routine work on some of our slopes. There have been times when I placed a ladder on the slope so that I could use the rungs for support as I did the work.

BTW, in the "north" photo, the darker ground cover there is vinca minor. It does very well there where there is more shade.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I have a type of sedum that was growing here when we moved in almost 16 years ago. I've been pulling it out for years and it keeps coming back. I wonder if it could be Sedum 'Acre'. I think I'll stop fighting it and see if I can turn it into a positive. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

THAT is sedum acre! :o :o

I have it here and it's a weed, LOL! I have let it remain in a few spots because I thought it had some merit and like most sedums, it's easy to rip out if it gets out of control, but I have NEVER seen it look so good! Wow!

I have a teeny bit cascading down a low wall and it has come up every year in new spots in the cracks of the stone. Now I'm going to work it into the hosta beds :wink:

Once again, amazed by Hank!
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Maybe it is invasive enough that I won't kill it! I really like the way the light green sets off the hostas. It really looks bright and happy.
Charla
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Gorgeous as always, Hank!! :P

I have Sedum 'Acre' here too. It works & looks great as a groundcover for hostas. It won't be difficult to 'work in' - just lay a piece on the ground & it will root just fine. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Here is a pic of Sedum 'Acre". It has nice yellow flowers for about two weeks in late spring/early summer.
Attachments
Sedum Acre 5-20-05c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
wzbt03

The Big Kids

Post by wzbt03 »

How about naming the big kids (hostas) in picture two starting in the lower left corner going counterclockwise.
I was going to guess but ...........
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

wxbt03--That's what the Pic of the Day is for. :lol: Wait for a while and I'll cover those plants in detail. Besides that, if I start listing off all the hostas in these pix, it will turn into job and I'm way too lazy. :lol:

But if anyone wants to try naming them, I'll let you know if you are wrong or right.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hank, I love the pictures like everyone else!! Are you sure you wouldn't like to come over here and help me? :lol:

I am pretty sure I have that sedum also......I think I got it from Dori years ago in our perennial trade...

Thanks Hank!!:-)
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Lucy--If you lived closer I'd be glad to help you out but HoosierLand is a place I don't get to more than every other decade or so. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
New Topic Post Reply