Approaching March

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

Approaching March

Post by HostaDesigner »

...cabin fever is setting in. The coming of March includes the word "Spring". I, for one, can't wait. I've had enough of this white stuff! It'll be nice to get outside and start planting. :cool:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

YES it wil :wink:

Hard to wait. It have been a beautiful sunny day here, crocus and snowdrops for a month and a half... Spring irises were unfurled today, lots of hosta noses covered up with grit piles :o

Bougt an Camelia for the patio... and when I came home, they had changed the forecast to sleet and frosts at night :evil:

Naive or just born stupid :-? ... maybe... but I'm sure they change it again in a few days :D the blackbirds are singing their evening song so beautiful :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm more than ready, but it sounds like I'll have to wait a while longer. Still 4" of snow here. At least the sun is shining. I hear our forecast for Wed/Thurs is for freezing rain..... :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

March is my least favorite month of the year. There's just so much mud out here on the farm, and about the time you think things have settled down, there'll come along a stretch of really cold and nasty weather.
They're predicting another winter storm here, but are holding out hope that we'll be on the warm side of it. That will mean rain, flooded roads when the rain tries to run off and hits the filled-up-with-snow ditches. Ah, well. I still have a lot of my winter projects to finish. Acutally, I'm just nicely getting started on them, but that's another story...
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Linda, sounds like Kansas so I sympathize. Thy, I don't think you are naive or stupid....it sounds like you are stubbornly optimistic. Me too! I like the sounds of that better!!! (I tried to put a smiley face in here, but I guess I don't know how.....)
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

renaldo75 wrote: Still 4" of snow here.
LUCKY. I've still got about 14 inches to melt in the backyard! :lol:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

March is always such an unpredictable month for us. We can have beautiful , warm , Spring-like days one day and the next day a terrible snowstorm. But...it does mean Spring is just around the corner, so I can't wait. It will be nice to just be able to open some windows and have the fresh air in the house.
And yes...I hate all the mud too.......but what are you gonna do??? :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I'm getting antsy here! I want to get started planting.

All that is here are 2 dwarf evergreens, 3 pygmy barberry shrubs (ripping these all out) and a very nice smaller birch tree which they planted right at the corner of the front porch, so to close to house. We are going to try to move this. :roll: We think the realtor made them put these plants in for "curb appeal".

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

14" of snow

Post by thehostagourmet »

Around Buffalo we laugh at 14" of snow. :lol:

It's starting to warm up and it's compressing some, but it was well over two feet. Elsewhere around here there was 3-4 feet.

George
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

There are only a few crumbs of snow/ice left in the very shady spots here..... it was in the upper 40's and will be that warm the rest of the week.

Like everyone mentioned though, the mud is really bad right now.

Spring is coming though..... the days are getting jsut a bit longer and it doesn't feel quite so dreary.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Nope, I ain’t falling for that “March means spring” nonsense...in this area March means ‘only’ 3.5 months til our last frost/freeze!!! I shoveled snow again today, now the piles are shoulder-high (and I am 5’10”)! And we are expecting another big storm on Thurs. - looks like ice this time...I hate ice, living in a forest and having my husband out on the roads driving truck.

Been keeping garden journals since 1981 - started those specifically so I would know what happened when (like spring) so I wouldn’t be so distraught when spring seemed to take forever to arrive. And I really hate the teasing...a week of 80+ degree weather followed by a few blizzards, then another period of warm balmy days followed by an ice storm...over and over, all the way to the second week of June in recent years.

The amazing news is that the mixed lettuces and spinach I planted after the e. coli problems late last fall are still growing under hoops/plastic...even after temps fell below 20 degrees below zero. Growing ever so slowly, and only about an inch tall, but sure is neat having a edible growing crop in this weather! A sign of hope...

wanda
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Seems like lots of snow everywhere this year! Unlike last few years, in Kansas anyway. Good thing I can say about snow this year, though, is that it blanketed the 3 new hosta beds I put in last year during the time when we had extended temps around 0 deg. We live kinda down in a valley and first time in 16 years I couldn't get my front wheel drive car out for weeks. In 16 years have only had a handful of days total when I couldn't get it out. Drove our little "grocery getter" AWD Subaru for the last 6 weeks!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I have had two beautiful 50 degree days here, but of course, it won't last. But it is sure nice to go out and do some pruning and cleaning up. I even spead some snail bait to kill some of those early risers :wink:
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Post by tsbccowboy »

Tracking the Hummingbird migration is a great way to pass time as we await Spring. This site shows their progress: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

The Hummingbirds, or should I say Hummingbird, have started their migration.

Here in Minnesota, Hosta eyes are starting to come up about the same time as the first Hummingbirds are spotted in our area.
New Topic Post Reply