brim cup

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jeem64

brim cup

Post by jeem64 »

this is the worst hosta i have ever had im a aden fan but this one is just not cutting it. i don`t know why i keep i`t around. soft heart i guess.
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Brim Cup'

Post by thehostagourmet »

I think it's a tossup with 'Snow Cap'.

George
planwerk

Re: brim cup

Post by planwerk »

jeem64 wrote:this is the worst hosta i have ever had im a aden fan but this one is just not cutting it. i don`t know why i keep i`t around. soft heart i guess.
Put it in a pot, keep it away from direct sun and fertilizer and it will look great. At least the second flush of leaves.
But you're right, there are better hostas from Aden.
8-)
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

This is one that seems to be very popular with large wholesalers, maybe because it can look pretty good on the sales floor. For many nurseries, especially the wholesalers, it doesn't matter to them what the plant looks like later on...

But I have to agree, there are much better plants out there, and was also going to mention to avoid fertilizing it. If you push the growth too much the center will grow a lot faster and tear the edges worse.

I saw the rest of your hosta list in the welcome forum and you have a great start on some really nice hostas there, so don't be discouraged by this one ;)

Welcome to the forums!

Chris
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

HI--Here's the way I described Brim Cup in my Pic of the Day last September.

Back in 2002 I conducted an unscientific, internet based poll of the worst hosta varieties. The list is available at the Hosta Library. Brim Cup easily made the list. It has a very well deserved bad reputation for developing ratty, torn, holey leaves. That is the way my plant was each year soon after I purchased it back in 1994. Then in 2002 I finally gave up on it and moved it to Loser's Lane where there is mostly dappled sun. Much to my surprise, Brim Cup has been a very good looking plant each year since then. Since it's previous location wasn't in very much sun, it seems unlikely the dramatic improvement was due to the relocation, particularly since almost all gardeners have bad problems with this variety. In any event, while Brim Cup's appearance has improved, the plant has not grown well. Zilis lists it at 14x40 and my plant has only averaged about 8x19. Slugs usually have left it alone.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I have two of them, and the one in more sun looked a lot better.
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I might be a dope but I like mine! :-? :oops:
[Imageimg][/img]
New Topic Post Reply