First Look Auction

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

First Look Auction

Post by thehostagourmet »

Is it my imagination, or are there many fewer items on the Auction this year?

George
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi George!!

No, it's not your imagination.....I think the same way....plus, nothing but maybe 2 hosta's that *I* can afford...... :???:
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

You two could donate something from your gardens :P :P Doesn't need to be anything special :wink: :D
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

I made a donation and from what I heard they've been having a difficult time obtaining donations this year. I didn't catch much solicitation in advance... I heard about it through here! plants are definately a bit on the pricey side but then again many are very unique.
Mike
Milwaukee
thehostagourmet

Donations

Jamie, I have for several years. This year, however, I'm afraid of spreading nematodes. They're rampant in my largest bed, and in a large number of my potted Hostas on the north side of my house where my breeding plants are. From my spreadsheet lists I don't know where the potted plant is, and I wouldn't take the chance.

I am going to try the hot water bath treatment again in the spring, this time with Chris' suggested cooling-off bath added.

I doubt anyone would bid on Sun Power, Frances Williams, Big Daddy, or the like. Those are in my oldest bed which is far from the rest.

I was looking to buy, however, which is after all how they make money. That was the reason for my comment.

George
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Mike.is it your pic of Blaue Zunge :-?

It sure is a beauty... and going to be big :o
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy

Post by thy »

Hope I can donate or bye in the future, but with extras up to $ 100 it is not possible
But one day we can do an EU fraction :D

Bying/trading plants are the only times I love to be an EU ziticen... 10 + years ago I couldn't even bye a plant in Germany or Sweeden :cry:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Your right Jamie, I could donate.....I donated for the first time ever to the HL auction.....I felt good......Now I am scared/worrying myself probably for nothing, that I hope this stupid weather we are having, doesn't kill my donation..... :roll: We have had so much rain and some of the garden is sitting in water....I will die if something happens...I am probably worrying for nothing....I never thought of nemotoads... :o Although what I donated for that auction, does not have them in that garden.....I too, think that bidding and winning is my donation.......maybe I will buy something from Chris to donate. Let me think...... :roll:
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

First off I want to Thank everyone that has decided to donate and bid on item(s) for this great cause.

If you haven't donated and have anything to spare please post Bill or Carol with your donation. I knew the money was going to be split 50/50 with the HL and First Look Region 1, but last rumor I heard was donations needed to pick up or all money would be sent to Bob to keep the HL funded.

George,
Sorry to hear about the nematodes and hope you have some luck in trying to cure the plants.. I now that the donations are down and if they don't pick up all money made from this auction will got straight to Bob for all his hard work on the HL, so even if you only donate a big daddy, fragrant bouquet, fried bananas, etc it's going for a great cause.. Plus remember were we all newbies at once and bought these common plants also :wink: :D.. Thank You for what you've donated and spent in the auctions in the past..

Kathleen,
I hear you about the weather and it's crazy here also.. We get 3 days or 40 degree weather a week and the rest is freezing weather. It seems like more of the higher dollar hostas are donated so maybe if we donate a few more common ones then allot will beable to afford them :wink: .. Thank You also for past and present contributions to the auctions..

I wasn't sure what to donate either and may still contact a nursery and buy a few to donate. To me spending 40 to 50 dollars for plants to donate is well worth the cause.. I know it costs Bob a nice chunk to have the HL hosted with all the traffic and photos added, so anything will be greatly appreciated by all hosta collectors.. It gives us a little better reinsurance that the HL will be there for years to come.. :D :wink: It's hard to make money in auctions when only 15 people donated out of the thousands that collect. I think some people are afraid that most won't get any bids, but I've never seen a auction close with a plant not getting a bid :wink: :wink: .. Allot of people like the groups of Blues, Yellows, Greens, and groups like Fragrant Bouquet, Fragrant Fire, fragrant Dream, Fragrant Blue, Etc. Thanks again everyone and let make some money for this great cause(s)..
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

I think all these fund-raising auctions would do a lot better in donations if they were held during the growing season. Then we could see what we had that looks good enough to share, and the winners would get their plants quickly.

I would love to donate, but I don’t dare as I never have any idea if a certain plant will come through the winter and our Jekyll/Hyde spring season in any shape to divide. I mostly only have one of each, so I don’t even have a backup to offer if the worst happens. If the plant I donate had heaved or had its eyes frosted/frozen off, the winner might have to wait a few years for the plant to regenerate for me to be able to fulfill the promise. That wouldn’t make me any friends and might put the winner off bidding again.

wanda
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Wanda,
We all understand that we can't control mother nature and accidents happen. That's why in the auction rules it states that if we have a problem with the plant not coming back that was donated then a full refund will be offered. Or maybe the bidder would be willing to work out a deal on another hosta or 2 instead :-).. I can't see anyone getting mad over something we can't control :wink: :wink:
thehostagourmet

Donation

OK, I donated a chunk of my 'Midas Touch' which hasn't been divided in a few years. Got it in 1989, and it's in my isolated, old Hosta bed. (Nematode free!)

George
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hey, it ends tomorrow! :o
wzbt03

First Look

Post by wzbt03 »

This posting got me going and I donated some big green 2nd year tissue cultures to the auction.
Hopefully this will help the cause.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thanks wzbt03!

I am hoping I just get one...... :D
whitewater176

Post by whitewater176 »

thanks wzbt, i love big and green and it seems we won them, we also donated the LS MOM. come on spring!!!!!!!!
wzbt03

Your Welcome

Post by wzbt03 »

You are welcome Whitewater176!

I think the Rosedale Richie Valens are going to really grow like crazy this year. It looks like a very nice, very big green one.
Once the leaf piecrusting comes it will be a wow and a monster.
The other two might be a bit slower growing but should do well this year.
thy

Post by thy »

Thank you to all donators and congratulation to all winners :D

Think Wanda is in to something--- the auction is only one month after the HL auction and for some there is a loooong way to spring, waiting at least a month may be better.
Is the auctions seen/ followed by japanes and Aussies ??

Darn late not to be slepy as an Europena... 4 AM :cry:
New Topic Post Reply