Groundhogs?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Groundhogs?

Post by thehostagourmet »

We here are back into full scale winter: 0 deg. F (-18 C) tonight. Won't get above freezing until the end of the week.

Is everyone out there hibernating with the groundhog who saw his shadow, or just worn out from the First Look Auction?

George
barbara

Post by barbara »

Hi George. Not hibernating, simply preparing for the frigid weather coming in tonight. I can't beleive it will dip to 30 below, but thats what "they" are claiming. Its been snowing since very early this a.m. and will continue through the day, up to 8 inches before its over. I really hope this will be the last of winter, and we will ease in to Spring, along with the clocks. Its getting to me NOW :evil: Keep warm :wink:
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Hibernating? Just got back from skiing.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

Down here in the south it got down to like middle 20's F last night, but right now the sun is out & it feels like the 60's F! I bet I won't be moving up north any time soon! :lol:
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

28 F this morning, 70 today! I love it. You could not get me any further north than Kansas! Ya'll have fun in the snow :lol:

Ginger
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

Speak of the devil! :o I saw 2 groundhogs out browsing on the side of the road on the way home! Jeez! I hope the worst of winter is over! :( Here anyhow! :wink:
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

No hibernating here, as pleasing as that thought is! Too much darn snow and ice to move to even slow down much. We got over 7” of snow with almost 1/2” of ice on top of that, then 3” more snow over that...what a mess. The snow piles are now neck deep...and would be much taller if I had more ambition (hehe). The paths will just have to be narrower! The snowplow even got stuck a few times...

Temps last night hovered around zero and tonight is supposed to be between -5 to -10 degrees...if not lower...brrrrrrrrrrr! And “they” are calling for at least 6” more snow tomorrow...

Winter still reigns here in northern Michigan! “They” are calling for temps above 40 degrees for this coming weekend...will believe it when I feel it (hehe)!

wanda
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

all i know is i want to see my hosta now! I've got some interesting seedlings... i'd like to move outside before i kill them indoors.
Mike
Milwaukee
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:eek: Do not talk about winther, keep it if you want it, but do not even think about sending it cross the ocean :o
Everything say spring here- springflowers, birds and the temps - but it is start of march- and everything can happen :cry:

Mike... Give them some ligt, light fertilixed water and keep your hands in the pockets... I'm sure they will be fine :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Down to zero here tonight (Waterloo area) but looking forward to the forties predicted for the end of the week and the weekend--a welcome site after the ice storm we experienced a week ago. My seedlings look stressed but mostly alive after spending 6 days without electricity (light). The house probably didn't get to less than 45 degrees as I rented a tractor generator last Monday and again on Wednesday to keep it from freezing the pipes and thawing the freezer. We didn't get as much snow as many of you lately but the winds still had many roads blocked around the area. Cabin fever is definately gripping me badly.

C'mon spring!
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

The weather is playing tricks on me. It was freezing last week and then Saturday was so warm I was out cleaning out the garden, counting all of the spring bulbs that were popping up here and there :P . Then Sunday was so cold I hid inside and spent the day on the computer, writing, working on my website and sticking my head out of the window every few minutes to see if it got warmer :-? :-? :-? . Then today I see three robins on the way to work! :o

Not cold enough to feel like winter. Not warm enough to feel like spring. Ah, zone 6 :roll: . This is a frustrating time of year! :-?
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Seedseller1 wrote:a welcome site after the ice storm we experienced a week ago.
I'm looking forward to the warm weather this week, too, Mike!! Glad you finally got your power back. We lucked out and never lost power...not sure how!!
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Thanks Josh!

I'm on a "REC" (rural electric cooperative) but everybody around nevermind who there provider was kinda in the same boat--hundreds of power poles/lines down and I know they can only do so much in the time given. I think the crew that actually got us up and running was from Alabama. Glad to hear that you didn't have to experience this. A few miles from here (different provider) there are the big "H" frame power poles where every pole is broken for atleast 10 miles, and we had heard that it would be atleast June before things were repaired. Never experienced anything like this and don't want to again. Thank goodness we didn't get the snow that SW Iowa (Reldon?) got on top of it. It's looking like I will need to get the chainsaw running again and the rake in the spring as the limbs down look like a tornado came thru here. Thank goodness for "back feed" technology as our substation is also schedueled to be down till June also.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'm with you, Ginger, no further north than Kansas! But Kansas isn't so bad, usually. Lot of snow here this year, too, but warmer temps this week and next. I think we are thru the worst. I really, really, realllllllly sympathize with you all in northern climates. I couldn't do it. We had to move to Colorado in 2000 to finish a year of school and it felt awful!! We were in Co Springs....everyone said they felt sorry for us when we moved back to Kansas, but you can keep those mountains! No dirt, just rocks and summer is 2 months shorter. Yes, it is beautiful, as I am sure all your northern homes and gardens are, but if I ever have opportunity to move....it's SOUTH for me!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Good to see you posting again, Mike!! :P We lucked out from the snow/ice weekend before this past one. We had a little sleet before it changed over to snow - just got caught by the tail end of the storm & only had 4 1/2". Sara was happy to have last Monday off - 1st snowday of the school year. I know other places to the west & north were far worse off. The friend I visited last summer after JimmyMac's is SW of Cresco & was without power from that Sat morning until Tuesday - fortunately had a generator to keep the furnace going.

Then last Thursday we got hit by a storm again. Worse here this time - lots of freezing rain/sleet to begin with & then changed to snow about 7am. The snow lasted until late Friday. Lots of wind & drifting snow. I had a nice drift on the east side of the house running from north of the house to the south end - all on the sidewalk & back step of course... I haven't been feeling well since the morning the snow began so the drift didn't get rearranged until yesterday. I'm not sure how much snow we had
the drift was over a foot high. I'm guessing 6-8". I heard that Atlantic which is about an hour NW of here had over a foot this last time.

Sara had 2 more days off Thurs & Fri so she had a 3-day weekend followed by 2 days of school - then a 4-day weekend. :roll: It was finally peaceful here again yesterday morning. :P :wink: Temps have been in the upper 30's here since Sunday afternoon. Maybe 40's later in the week. We shall see.....
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply