Pic of the Day--Garden Tour 22

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Garden Tour 22

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Starting today I will be showing photos of beds in our south lawn. All of these beds were planted in 2000. The photos were taken in 2005, before the extensive vandalism to our garden occured in 2006. These south lawn beds were among the most badly damaged.

These two shots are of each side of the east end of a bed that is about 40 feet long and 8 feet wide.
Attachments
long east south 71505c.jpg
long east north 71505c.JPG
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by thehostagourmet »

Hank, was there ever a resolution to the vandalism? Was anyone caught?

Hopefully these beautiful beds will recover.

George
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

George--Unfortunately, the sick, twisted S.O.B. who did the vandalism has not been caught. The story got very prominent newspaper coverage and I offered a $1000 reward for information leading to an arrest but nothing came of it. Because the damage was so extensive, the person(s) would have been charged with a felony and possibly a hate crime. Betty and I are optimistic that many of the sprayed plants will recover but it is likely to be a number of years, if ever, before the garden makes it back.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Libby

Post by Libby »

Hank, I can only be an echo complimenting your fabulous hosta gardens but, I can say how much I enjoy visually wandering along those paths and thank you for sharing this hosta dreamland! I'm saddened to learn you were a victim of vandalism and hope the friendship garden helps to overcome that memory.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Thanks, Libby. Receiving all the plants, from so many people, for the Friendship Garden was one of the very best experiences of my life. That area of our garden will always be the most special for Betty and me.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

So pretty and to have them destroyed......I can't wait to see the friendship gardens, too......Hugs to you and Betty..
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You know that people who do bad things usually can't keep their mouths shut about it forever, so I'm hoping that somewhere out there this person (or persons) will let it out what they did and someone will turn them in. I'll never understand how people can do such awful things in the first place and how they can live with themselves afterwards!
To destroy such beauty out of spite, hate, or just because you don't agree with someone else's views is despicable!!
I have hopes that your lovely garden will recover, Hank. I'll enjoy seeing pics of the Friendship Garden as it matures and I send my best to you and Betty.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Thank you all for the wonderful comments.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It's just unimaginable that someone could stoop so low as to do such a thing. :( I hope this section of your garden recovers and I hope it will do it so quickly that it surprises you. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply