JOKE, JOKE???

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
malaprop

JOKE, JOKE???

Post by malaprop »

A hosta friend, also a market vendor) was looking at my kitchen hosta-nursery, and my collection of streaked seedlings. (He's always asking me first if I want to "get rid" of something.) In all seriousness he said that if I was getting rid of some streaks, he wouldn't mind taking one.....

I swear I didn't know what to say.

But I can tell you what it felt like.....like if I ever got ready to get rid of my children, or my dogs......

Am I being unreasonable?
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

......let's see which one.......
Attachments
going4ridex.JPG
going4ridex.JPG (52.12 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: .. :lol:
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

To some people, they are just plants! Some people care a little more, like us!! Our seedlings are like our babies!I understand!! :lol:
Bonnie
druff

Post by druff »

or per chance your purse gets too heavy from carrying around all that cash and jewels. send me some of that. :lol:

doug
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

:lol: :lol: Nope, some people don't realize what they are asking, but he obviously did know what he was asking if he specified streaks! At least he phrased it the way he did....."IF you are getting rid of some" :lol:

The nerve of some people!! :roll:

I might just start a new thread on Hosta gardening "peeves" :P
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

When you say this friend is a "market vendor" does that mean they sell hostas at a farm market? If that's the case then the request sounds as though they had some $$$ signs in their eyes for upcoming sales. I think I would have said "Oh...I won't be getting rid of these, but I might consider selling some, so if you interested later on ,let me know". :wink:

P.S. Love the pic of your adorable furkids!! :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Mal! Obviously this person is far too dense for you to consider as a friend... :lol: Get Rid Of One?
I can't even cull the green ones. I'm with you on the 'kids and pets' analogy.
I'm thinking I'd be with Joan on this one. I'd say something like "Well, if the price was right, I might consider parting with one or two. Do you know what streaked hostas sell for? Check out the prices on the First Look Auction, and then come back with an offer!"
I'm not at all opposed to sharing my hostas, and I do it often and willingly. However, when someone prefaces the request with 'if you're getting rid of it', I'm likely to circle the wagons and drag out the heavy weapons. Another one I've heard that sets me off is "When you're thinning your hostas, I'd like a piece of that one". As if I go around whacking away at them and throwing divisions into the compost pile! :roll: Oh, and invariably it's the latest and most expensive hosta I have to which they refer. I'm thinking about making a sign that says 'No-thinning zone' for my hosta beds. :wink:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

Linda P wrote:Mal! When you're thinning your hostas, I'd like a piece of that one". As if I go around whacking away at them and throwing divisions into the compost pile! :roll: Oh, and invariably it's the latest and most expensive hosta I have to which they refer. I'm thinking about making a sign that says 'No-thinning zone' for my hosta beds. :wink:
Linda P
Exactly! I've had the same thing there too, ......but it puts it in my mind even if the newly purchased hosta every time I look at it, that I "owe" them an eye or two in some season down the road! But it takes upwards of 5 years or even more, to get a nice clump going.

You know what I did in one case of a requested "division" of L. Sao Kao? I just quietly bought another one, and gave it to him the following season---none was the wiser--but I didn't want to risk mangling up my 5 eyed clump, and I've had some disasters during dividing a pot, where the eyes snapped off like asparagus. I CAN POSITIVELY DESTROY A HOSTA WITH A SLIP OF THE KNIFE!!!

Most of the time, I just up-pot.

I just put Krossa Regal into a huge tree-pot (20 gallons?), hoping for some nice height.....
NWhosta4life

Post by NWhosta4life »

The dialog on this one is cracking me up....its so true for most of us collectors :lol:
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Oh, yeah...and you know, it is never my friends that ask...always someone else!

I started a local plant trade a number of years ago to get rid of surplus perennials...because even giving away 5-10 truckloads of plants per year couldn’t keep up with the growth rate of the daylilies, siberian iris, german iris, obedient plant, poppys, etc. Now that I am taking a few hosta to the trade, EVERYONE wants them. But many folks are quite offended that I won’t give the hosta away, too!!! I don’t think its too much to ask for a plant of equal value in trade (one I don’t have - which IS a bit hard)...preferably a hosta. If they walk away in a huff...all the better! (hehe) If they are still interested, I tell them to get some hosta I don’t have (from Hallsons!...I always) and I would love to trade! That way everyone benefits...and good folks realize this.

And then there was the time I took a few Alberta Spruce I had trimmed into spirals - made sure everyone KNEW they were “for equal trade only”...then one disappeared! This after an announcement was made that everyone had to ask for a plant, not just grab one from a table and take it. Had to stand up on the picnic table and ask where it was. 70 people sort of milled around until I threatened to lock the park gate and search each vehicle leaving...then was told it was the same lady we always have that sort of problem with. She had sent her 10 yr. old grandson over to grab it while my back was turned. I took back my spruce and immediately forever banned her from the trade. Then she had enough balls to tell me I had embarrassed her grandson...I told her in no uncertain terms that as the adult and the person who had sent him to get it, she was responsible. I really wonder how some people manage to live as long as they do...

I just don’t seem to have any luck trading anywhere except for here! This sure is a great bunch of folks!!! Thanks again, Chris & Brian!

wanda
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

This is cracking me up, too! Thanks, Mal, for the the fun! Doug, I like your analogy, too! I am glad I don't have enough yet for this dilemma!! Reminds me of the post where someone's neighbor divided their perennials when they were out of town for a few weeks. Glad, again, for those Rottweilers that stroll around my yard! Yikes, the things people think of!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply