winter damage/heaving

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
flowerchild59

winter damage/heaving

Post by flowerchild59 »

I have been walking around in my glorious 60 degree weather and noticed some of my older clumps have heaved some more this year. What is the best way to go about fixing this? I know those clumps have been heaving for a few years and are winter damaged and the clumps are shrinking in size and I need to do something about it.
Do I just dig up and replant deeper? Do I have to replant in a new spot? Do I bleach treat anything????
Thanks in advance.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Cheryl,

If you can cover them up with an inch of good soil while they are dormant it might be enough, but then the soil might just wash off too... However this would disturb the roots the least amount so shouldn't set them back at all.

If they are shrinking, though, they might really benefit from lifting and replanting in fresh soil. The only thing I would clean really good is your shovel or any tools you use (and clean your hands). That way if you make any cuts into the roots there isn't any bacteria, fungus, or virus on the tools, plus it is a good idea to clean your tools after each plant you dig up. Bleach works fine, I just would rinse it off and wouldn't soak them too long as it will rust everything. Lysol or any other surface cleaner would work too.

You can plant back in the same spot, but add some good compost and a little fertilizer back in to give them a boost.

It might be a little early now since there is probably frost in the soil but in a few more weeks it would be fine :)

Isn't it fun to think about spring projects? :D
malaprop

Post by malaprop »

I am noticing the loss of soil due to heavy rains, an inch or more, and pots covered with mud splatters. The only hostas I've ever lost have been either to voles or planting too deep, and turning them to mush. Mine are going to get top-dressed with manure.

I've also got loss from the bottom causing the hosta to sink--that have sunk so much into the pot, they'll have to be re-potted and "bottom-dressed". :-).

I saw a Red-Shafted-Flicker today.
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

I cleaned out 2 big shade beds today. Gosh it felt good to be out in nice weather! Saw a little bit of heaving out there so I'm going to just add some soil and hope for the best. I even ordered my weed pre-emergent stuff today. I actually feel like I'm halfway on the ball this year! :lol:
New Topic Post Reply