Hosta Gardening Peeves

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Pet Peeve

Post by Marlys »

Pet Peeve -
"Why do you have so many hostas? They all look alike."
or
"They're just another green plant."
or
"How stupid, to spend all that money on hostas."
or
"I'd love to have a start of that." How RUDE!!!
and, yes -
hostas that are planted directly under thick tree canopies that get no water or sunshine.
and, yes -
plants with disease on the open market.
and -
burned up- parched hostas planted in full sun with no protection from brutal afternoon sun.
and -
hybridizers that are in such a hurry to make a buck that plants are dumped on the market prematurely.
Just my 2 cents worth.
But - worst of all - "How do I get rid of my weeds?" - Duh!
MM
jgh

Post by jgh »

Wow, Lisa - hate to think about Andy "pushing up daisies" - I assume that a passed spouse, properly planted, would be pushing up hostas. Zoning regulations being what they are, my final goal is to become compost for wildflowers in the Beartooth Mountains.

My pet peeve... people stepping on my plants. Really, even nice people... I have wandering pathways and some folks will turn around to talk to me and plant a heel directly on the crown of a Little Sunspot - and I'm a polite Minnesotan, so I resist saying something until the purple shade of my face indicates to them that something is awry. Seriously, a 24 " paved or wood-chipped pathway should be sufficient... but some people will just wander into the garden... and some will just plain cut-through beds. Unbelievable!

Include in this peeve, people with ill-behaved children who don't stop them from destroying plants, playing tag on my pathways, cutting through beds, etc... and ditto for people who feel it is appropriate to bring large dogs into my gardens - I guess that truly qualifies as a "pet" peeve.

(We had two young men show up for our sale two years ago. They wore almost matching outfits, ever so Polo, and climbed out of their pastel convertible with two Great Danes. The Danes had collars that matched the men's scarves. Each of them, with a Dane on a long leash, proceeded to wander through the gardens... the dogs stomping small plants into salads and the leashes cutting off plants as the dogs wandered back and forth. I was forced to intercept them and tell them humans were welcome, but miniature horses had to be stabled elsewhere. They made offended noises and departed, but they came back last year sans pets and bought a couple hostas...)

I don't share the peeve about people asking for freebies.

I'm not often asked the "starter" question, since people know I sell some hostas. Still, it happens - and it doesn't peeve me. I think it is simply part of the tradition of hostas as "the friendship plant." I myself got my start in hostas with six divisions from a lady who felt she needed to divide her plants every few years to keep them "the right size."

And also, with many plants a "start" doesn't require damaging the parent plant... a start from a begonia or violet or oleander or whatever comes from removing a leaf and rooting it... people really do think we will be starting extras for free and it really wouldn't cost us anything to share it with them.

So, since some hostas have always been divided and shared for free, and a "start" means a piece of the parent with no loss to the original plant... people, even good plant people, will invite us to give them a piece of a hosta they like.

Of course, they never ask for one my several hundred U. Albomarginatas or August Moons - usually something like Embroidery or the Thunderbolt I've been managing for 5 years to get to something like decent size. I have a variety of replies... my most common one is something like "I won't be dividing that for a long time, and when I do I will have to sell several divisions before I get back what I paid for it... " or "I'll be selling a few of those next spring pretty cheap."
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I like that, John...peeve-lessness. :) I think I will add that word to my general vocabulary. I think I will live life from now on in peeve-lessness. Seems so much more tranquil. :lol:

Well, it's a good goal, anyway, we'll see how much success I have!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Oh! See here, I am already breaking my new life plan....

Thanksgiving we had all the relatives here for the annual holiday celebration - about 35 including ages from 1-11. It was a beautiful 70 degree day, so it was awesome that the rowdy ones could be outside instead of destroying the house! I went outside to discover the one-year-old, totally unattended, pulling up plant labels and dropping them down the sewer vent. Niiiiice!!! I am glad I had plotted hosta locations on a drawing...beside the fact we had to roto-root the sewer line about two weeks later as it eventually caused a clog...

BTW, jgh, those Beartooth Mountains really are something, aren't they...one of the most beautiful places on earth, probably...
Charla
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

I think my biggest pet peeve is with my otherwise wonderful boyfriend who steps over the cardboard UPS/FED EX/USPS box on the doorstep, sitting in the sun on a totally hot, sun-baked, day.

And then when I get home hours later and carry the box inside he says "what did you get?" followed immediately by, "what, more hosta?"

Repeat once to twice a week for several months and it gets really old.
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

My pet peeve....every time I sit down at the computer my husband says, "Are you hostaing again?"
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Pet Peeve-less

Post by Marlys »

Now, I'm ashamed of myself!

Of course, hosta is the friendship plant!

I love sharing my plants.

But!

I still feel it is rude to right out ask for a piece of a plant.

Lots of people think hostas can just be chopped up with a spade & split up into a million pieces without any effort at all.
Some hostas maybe, are able to withstand such assult.

I give away lots of plants every year to gardeners who will hopefully, care for them properly & appreciate the gift.

I didn't mean to sound mean!

MM
jgh

Post by jgh »

No, Marlys... you didn't sound/don't sound mean!

I was just speculating that people have acquired bad habits when it comes to asking for hostas because we have had such a grand tradition of giving things away. Truth is, if you give things away, some people will appreciate it and other people will grow to expect it.

My post was simply in the spirit of trying to increase peevelessness... that from a guy who is trying to lower his blood pressure. If somebody is too pushy, I just assume they have spent some time in New Jersey!
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC has several pet peeves

Post by oldcoot »

First is that he doesn't seem to have enough time in the yard. (Been raining for two months now it seems) Finally dried off got up to 80 this week, so he finally got out). (Checked on his Hosta Rock Garden, but none up yet).

The other two are slugs and voles. I put oout thingies for them two years ago and didn't seen any last year. His dear sweet loving Wife (who actually likes Hostas) thinks he has enough (got more coming when Chris ships and will definitely get some more next fall when he puts them on sale.)

OC guesses that time, money, and two much shade are his bug-a-boos. (lot was cut out of a forest and they didn't remove very many trees except in the front yard. Joy keeps that for grass, OC gets the back yard, but is gradually sneaking more Iris into the front yard along the sidewalk. He can already see by the gaps from the last planting, he has a LOT OF ROOM for more Iris there when he divides some this fall

OC really shouldn't complain, the Good Lord is so good to him, making all his plants grow and bloom, and a dear sweet loving wife willing to finance his madness for pretty plants.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Here's one no one mentioned. It's H... getting old! My back doesn't want to bend over much anymore & I'm not that old! And I seem to be huffing & puffing a lot more!

I hate people saying they already have that one. When I have my sales I tolerate the first 50 or so who say it then I start getting a bit, shall we say, bitchy? I'll ask if they have (fill in name they've just vetoed) & just about every time they'll say no. Then I ask if they have ten or so that look similar & they'll say no each time. Then just to be a pain I ask if they have several that look nothing at all like it & of course they say no. So then I go "Well, WHAT DO YOU HAVE? It'd be quicker for you to tell me what you have!"
Funny thing is, this usually embarasses them into buying the original plant! Aren't I a pill? :lol:

In my sale in the pots, a lot do look a like, but in my yard they've grown to mature size & are very different. So it really burns me when they say that!

I also hate the ones who act like they know a lot but you can tell by the second sentence they don't know crap. One guy told me there was a nursery with all the hostas there are. I said, Wow, what's it like to see over 4,000 different hostas in one place? He just stared at me and finally said they had 100 different ones. That really got me, coz I have about 30 in my sale, then in the front yard alone there's probably over 100. Why was he impressed by them & not me?

And then there was the pushy lady who walked right past my roped off area that had a sign saying "Plants beyond this rope are not for sale." She brought back several 3 gallon pots with gorgeous plants & expected me to sell them to her for $3.00. I'd just paid over $15 for each! They still had the tags on them! You could tell they were brand new!

When I asked where she got them she said "Past the rope" I said you mean the one with the sign saying don't go beyond this point????? Then I looked back & she had moved the rope so it was no longer blocking the path & there were several people out there! Whoa, was I upset with her! And she'd been to my sale for several years & knew I only sold in the driveway, not in the back yard!

And there are more rude people who want a piece of something from my yard & expect me to dig it up right then & there. Not to mention there's 20 other customers waiting for me, not to mention I don't want to sell that plant, oh no, they want it right now!

Once I didn't have a customer so thought it would be ok to dig something for a nice couple & of course it took a lot longer than I thought, so customers started coming & saw I did it for one, so why not for them too? And I dug into my underground soaker hose so I was not happy. Ruined probably $6.00 in hose for a $3.00 sale! Bummer!

Another lady wanted me to dig up some zebra grass & insisted she wanted a $1.00 pot. I told her the roots would probably fill a $5.00 pot if I could hack off a small enough piece & she got ticked at me! And did she really think I was going to do all that sweating for $1.00????? What are some people thinking????

And something that really bugs me is when people just start walking in my yard without permission. If they ask, I'm thrilled to let them go, but when they go without asking, it really burns me up! Is that wierd or what?

And probably the worst thing is I've run out of garden space! I've even gone to one neighbor's & have started using her yard! She loves it! I just can't stop buying new stuff.

The last two years I actually didn't buy many annuals since there was no place to put them. I usually bought several flats every time I saw flowers for sale & would come & push them in somewhere in the yard. But it got to the point where I just couldn't add more. But did I stop buying hostas? OH NO! I have probably 30 pots from last year that I need to plant & have no idea where they'll go unless I dig up something else. I do have several hydrangeas I don't really like, so there's some space! See there's always hope for a true Hostaholic! :wink:
oldcoot

Wow - you just convinced OC

Post by oldcoot »

:bd: :bd: :bd: he would rather share with us Hallsons folks than have a sale . OCis really glad he doesnt do that, but then NOT TOO MANY folks could walk through the rocks to get to his big bed. He does pot up some for neighbors and friends but none are allowed to dig.....
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

This is going to sound petty :blush: , but I really don't like getting plants as gifts that don't fit into my landscape plan. My brother gave me 4 lilac bushes and I really didn't have anywhere to put them, but since they were a gift (for my b-day) I had to find a spot. He's given me peonies, climbing roses (orange colored, UGH) trumpet vine (AGH!), clematis, platycodon, blueberry bushes, and the list goes on. They take up precious garden space that I really don't have. My nephew planted an oak tree in a spot that was totally inappropriate...I hate to say it, but I was thrilled that it died.

Then there was a friend of my mother's visiting, and I caught her out in the hosta patch with a soup spoon, trying to dig up a piece of my hosta :o . I really had to keep my cool on that one.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Freaky - I know what you talk about- nearly all my pots for anuals are planted with hostas and anuals are like Lobelias hanging down the pot side :roll:

Do not ask if I have new ones on order :lol:

Lack of Space in every thing in the garden. Asked for Open garden arrangements.- but in the cities there are a lot of people coming- Think a 30 feet wide and 70 feet big lot- included are patios, car area and a shed, paches as wide as a foot- I would get a nervous break down with in the first hour :evil:

For the: I haved this one, I got a new version this year at my friends Open Garden and hosta sale
A young couple was asking about hostas. They had bought their house 2 years before and first year they had bought a few hostas to test. They had not used any money on impulsive shopping in the plantcenters- but admit they had been tempted. Both came from happy gardener familly :wink:
Instead they had used a lot of time reading books ands seach the webb- been here too :wink: and knew what they wanted if we didn't tell them not to bye that hosta- At one point we started to talk about streakers but then there were other custumers and they looked out hostas in the sales area
Then an old lady grab my arm and whispered- I have the striped one :roll: - I tried to stop her, by telling there vere several streakers out there- she smiled a big smile, and told me- all her hostas vere a bit different. I tried to pull myself together for a long speach of Undulata Univita contra streakers - when she whispered- And you said they were expencive ? She smiled big and before I could say anything She said her kids could have them when she died :o
I just stood there smiling as an idiot - what could I do ???

I will never start at the same point again when somebody tell me: I have that one :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
oldcoot

Until OC heard the weather forecast for the week-end

Post by oldcoot »

he'd had forgotten his BIGGEST pet Peeve. Sudden Freezes, and 80* weather for two weeks. What made him think of it was that after our rain, they are now calling for a hard freeze. And his Hostas have just started putting up points ! BOOOOO on the weather man.

OK, OC will do the best he can. May actually go out and cover those two pots..........
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

This has been fun to read, Rox....

My pet peeve is neighbor's with dogs that get loose and run big footed through the beds.....I am getting a fence for sure this spring, so that will end...We have new neighbors across the street with 2 big dogs that are loose one a week it seems....

I don't think I have any other pet peeves that others haven't already mentioned......I always love the *I have lots of hosta's*....when I ask how many it's usually like 10 or lower or it's the common one.....Then I tell them I have about 150'ish the look at me funny....:lol:

Now if I get a fence I hope to God that I can get shade built, too.....Wish me luck!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

This has all been so funny! I really chuckled about the mom's friend out with a soup spoon trying to dig up your hosta! I know it's not funny, but...it is making me chuckle right now. I hope I don't get a "payback" for giggling about all this.... :lol: It's just that when I read these, I can actually picture these things happening and I hear myself gasp. :eek: It's been fun!
Charla
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Eastwood2007, The soup spoon episode is funny in retrospect. Seeing a little old white haired lady in her house coat squatting in the hosta patch is a picture forever imprinted on my brain. I just wonder how many kitchen drawers she went through before she found the spoon. My mom had gone in to use the bathroom and I guess that's when Josie sprang into action.

Also, I reread my first pet peeve, and see how ungrateful I sounded...I just want to add that although these weren't my choices I cherish those plants given as gifts by my brother and they have prominent spots in my gardens. Sigh, the real problem is I'm running out of garden space, I'm going to tell him I'm collecting miniature plants...hee, hee. :D

That's my third pet peeve, running out of garden space. :eek: I can't fix that one unless I move and that isn't going to happen any time soon.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

PIM - just tell your brother that you're collecting hostas & give him your wish-list. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Shade Tolerant

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Just one pet peeve at the moment--neighbors who let their english ivy run rampant into my garden. No matter how much I pull there is always another twelve foot vine lurking under the soil :o
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Hi all,

My pet peeve is relatives and friends who think you should give them for free the plants you are selling!

As for being given plants you really don't want just tell the truth. Say I really love that you think of me but I'd much rather pick my own plants. And suggest they give you gift certificates to your favorite plant places instead.

Cheers!
MollyD
New Topic Post Reply