Hosta Gardening Peeves

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

My pet peeve is Gophers :evil: Nasty little buggers ate over half my hosta last year!
I am the only one in my family or my family of friends (except for the Hallson family) who even likes Hosta, so I never get the "can I have a piece of one", no one ever stomps on them cause no one cares enough to walk around and look. When I try to show them off I end up talking to myself cause the person I am trying to show has already lost interest and wandered over to pet the horse :o So I guess I have two peeves, Gophers and no one but me to share my hosta with :lol:

Ginger
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

That is so sad Ginger! No hosta lovers around at all?? What an awful thought!

MollyD
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

:o :o
I have only peeked in here once this week, Monday or Tuesday. This post grew big! :lol:

What an entertaining read it is!! :P
I will probably read it again later!

I have to add one more peeve......and this has happened to me twice.
...Coming home from work and having strangers in the yard looking.
I was never in fear of theft or anything like that either time. They just smile, say "Oh! my friend knows you and she said it would be ok to look" or something on those lines...
Just another sample of rudeness, I guess.
I know this has happened to someone besides me.... :???:
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

V-O-L-E-S

:evil:
NWhosta4life

Post by NWhosta4life »

lucygoose i totally hear you with the whole neiborhood dogs thing. I have about ten dogs in my area that like to rumage through my beds and pots. In fact early last year one of the dogs ran off with my prized queen of the seas....imagine my surprise to see my 25 dollar plant go missing without a trace cept a empty pot and some dirt....thats definatly a peeve. :evil:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Ginger, I have the same problem with no one else being interested in hostas, or gardens of any kind. So, I am really enjoying visiting with everyone on the forum.

I also understand about how rude people are when they want to see your "stuff.' I haven't had any come to look at hostas, but at our home. Yeah! My husband built our home using a saw mill. It sits way off the road in the middle of the woods and he did make it quite beautiful. We have people who wait till they know we aren't going to be home then come down and look at our place in the woods!! :eek: The nerve! another reason Rottweilers come in real handy! We had a couple tell us last week at church, "Rottweilers, huh." We just looked at them cuz we had no idea what they were talking about. Then they proceeded to tell us they came by our house the previous Sunday when they knew we were at church! It amazes me that people would do that, and it doubly amazes me they would confess to it! :???:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

My first peeve is the lack of time to play in my garden... :wink:

My second peeve is the lack of money to buy all the things I want... :(

My third peeve, and a big one, is the mosquitos. Here, there's a lot, a lot of mosquitos and I have to wear a new parfume (read OFF, product to keep off insects) each spring... :evil:

Finally, I also regret that DH is not a gardening person and not someone who can build all the things I would like in my yard (fence, wood structure,etc...) :cry: He have other quality! :lol:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Mikky
USDA Zone: 6

Post by Mikky »

Slugs, Weeds and Nematodes!

I was away from home over half of last year, and my garden was totally neglected.
While I was away, my sister-in-law, my hosta buddy, sent me email telling me slugs were having parties in my garden.
When I came back in December, I saw weeds taking over my garden.
Nematodes were almost under control the year before, but I am afraid it is back to square one.
It will be another few years until my garden is back to where it was... :cry:

Besides that, yes, I have experience of "I have that" and "I want that." My neighbor's visitor once tumbled into my garden chasing after her pet dog. She saw my hostas and started "I have this" and "I have that." She proudly said "...and mine is bigger than yours!"  Then she pointed my 'One Man's Treasure' and some other newly acquired hostas and started "I want that!" No way! She visited me again half an hour later with pots of some tropical plants that she had brought back from her vacation. Oh my! Since then, when I see people in the neighbor's backyard, I try to hide from them.

Mikky
My website: Giboshi arekore
barbara

Post by barbara »

"...and mine is bigger than yours!"  Boy , have I ever heard that one a few times! :lol: Don't bother me no more! we can't all grow them perfect. :wink: (especially since we may not even be talking or thinking of the same hosta!)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You guys seem to encounter a lot of rude people. :o I spose I might too, but I don't have people traipsing thru my gardens so I don't give em a chance. :wink: LOL I'm not active anymore in the local gardening group I was involved with from its start-up. I know none of them [maybe one or 2] would understand my hosta~obsession. Maybe some year when I'm happy with how my gardens look I'll offer to be on the garden tour they have every summer. But being a hermit these days has its advantages - they've never asked. :wink: LOL

I'd say my pet peeves are not enough money to do several garden features & for buying more hostas & some companion plants. And no more space to expand now that the boundaries of existing beds were stretched last fall.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:oops: :oops: Okay I tell...

Do not like to complain, but....

My biggest problem is Reldon :cry:

One year ago he would come and help me do an old lady raised garden for the flight ticket........ :D
This year he add a 5 star hotel, special food and a free visit to an other country :o and I can't afford it :cry:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFLMAO

NOW I know what the he(( you were talking about in the messages you were sending me, Pia. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was busy posting my leaf pics & didn't even read your peeve about me. I just kept responding to your messages hoping I'd figure out what the he(( you were talking about. But I never did. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Send me the ticket. :lol: :lol: No 5-star hotel is necessary - a 3-star will do me just fine. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: And we'll have Danny & Jeroen & Dirk send a limo for us to come see them. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
thy

Post by thy »

Top !!!

:lol:

Love you, specially when it is me teasing you :lol:
thy

Post by thy »

You fooled me in the last PM- was sure you had figred out by then :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I don't remember what I said but I hadn't a clue. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
thy

Post by thy »

:wink:
New Topic Post Reply